LegacyGT.com

2.5i and premium gas??

Ive read that putting premium gas can damage the engine on normal cars?(read it on this site that it could cause problems too)

But the manual does not say anything about DO NO PUT IN higher ocatane gas. Only mentions put in gas with ocatane ratings of 87 or higher.

Currently have 1.7k miles on the car. Ive filled the car up with premium 2 times and all others just regular.

What do you guys put in for your 2.5i??? Cant really tell the different in performance with 87 and 92 ocatane.

waste of money...

unless you are running some crazy compression on a built NA engine...

or running a lot of extra timing...

but for stock - no reason to use it

+1 the whole mindset behind my buying my 2.5i was to NOT put premium in her like the LGT NEEDS

Waste.....

As bruddah one suggests use a good injector cleaner such & BG44 it is one of the best. I use it every 6 mo......

Put 87oct in your 2.5l just put a good brand in the car that is known to have detergents

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Can we make a sticky or something.

GT's Take PREMIUM.

Non-GT's Take REGULAR.

End of discussion, no exceptions, no "I heard that putting in more octane increases performance" threads, or no "Putting in 87 in my GT is just fine I have no problems" threads.

I mean it says this on the back of the fuel fill door...c'mon people RTFM!

GT's Take PREMIUM.

Non-GT's Take REGULAR.

End of discussion, no exceptions, no "I heard that putting in more octane increases performance" threads, or no "Putting in 87 in my GT is just fine I have no problems" threads.

+1

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

GT's Take PREMIUM.

Non-GT's Take REGULAR.

You mean RTFFD (fuel door)

Can I ask WHY you feel the need to waste your money?

If you feel like throwing it away, just fill up with regular and you can send me the difference at each fill-up...

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

Octane is the measurement of the fuels resistance to exploding. Higher octane fuels are used in forced induction cars and high compression NA cars because these engines have very high pressure in the cylinder which equals lots of heat. High octane fuel is resistant to detonating early which is very very bad for a car. Your 2.5i does not have the heat levels to require high octane fuels. So it is absolutely useless to use it. And no, you won't see a performance gain by using it. If anything you may get less of a complete burn.

Can I ask WHY you feel the need to waste your money?

If you feel like throwing it away, just fill up with regular and you can send me the difference at each fill-up...

+1 send me the $$$$...I will use it to purchase the LGT which NEEDS the premium which you are wasting :lol:

+1 send me the $$$$...I will use it to purchase the LGT which NEEDS the premium which you are wasting :lol:

jeez, i just asked because the manual does not mention anything like do not put in higher ocatane gas or what not. And I just wanted to see if anyone in here puts in premium for 2.5i.

I did not say i will be putting in premium, but was just a mere question for the 2.5i owners.

Thanks for alllllll the information people~~

Octane is the measurement of the fuels resistance to exploding. Higher octane fuels are used in forced induction cars and high compression NA cars because these engines have very high pressure in the cylinder which equals lots of heat. High octane fuel is resistant to detonating early which is very very bad for a car. Your 2.5i does not have the heat levels to require high octane fuels. So it is absolutely useless to use it. And no, you won't see a performance gain by using it. If anything you may get less of a complete burn.

:whore: You would lose power. 87 burns much easier than super, so in a twisted sort of way you could actually gain power on an NA car by running regular.

Not to take a fork in the road, but does anyone know if regular fuels have as high a detergent or additive as their respective super unleaded counterparts? My personal opinion is that many owners who run super where only regular is required are not looking for "power" or "performance" gains, but want to maintain their fuel system the best way possible, including a reduction in deposits. Would this fact also be false in running super over regular?

Not to take a fork in the road, but does anyone know if regular fuels have as high a detergent or additive as their respective super unleaded counterparts? My personal opinion is that many owners who run super where only regular is required are not looking for "power" or "performance" gains, but want to maintain their fuel system the best way possible, including a reduction in deposits. Would this fact also be false in running super over regular?

All grades of fuel have detergents in them.

Using high-octane gas in a car designed for regular accomplishes little except more rapid combustion of your money. Some refuse to believe this, claiming, for example, that premium gives the family Toyota better mileage or more power. These people are in dreamland. Others say premium is purer or contains detergents that will cleanse your engine of uncouth deposits. Likewise misguided thinking--government regulations require detergents in all grades of gasoline. (BP Amoco, I notice, asserts that its premium gasoline contains more detergents than legally required; if you think that's worth 20 extra cents a gallon, be my guest.) Some automotive types claim that using premium in a car designed for regular will make the engine dirtier--something about deposits on the back side of the intake valves. I've also heard that slower-burning high-octane gas produces less power when used in ordinary cars. Believe what you like; the point is, don't assume "premium" means "better."

from this link

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041008.html

and

Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?

As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car's engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car.

from this link

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

Higher Octane does result in better fuel economy, but that is strictly highway driving. 0% city. If you use 89 instead of 87 you are saving money, but not that much in the end.

If youre willing to spend the money, do the test next time you take a long trip. Id be interested to know if that claim I just made is true in our cars.

Higher Octane does result in better fuel economy, but that is strictly highway driving.

not necessarily true.....higher octane=more oxygen in gas...more oxygen=faster burn up rate=less fuel economy, not more.

If your car requires regular gas then putting premium does nothing for you. All gas grades have the same detergents now so you can't even use that as an excuse anymore.

The argument is a little more complicated the other way round. If your car requires premium and it has a variably timed engine check the owners manual, because it may be possible for you to run regular gas. You will lose some performance but the cars engine may be able to adjust and adapt and use the regular gas for an extended period of time too which is pretty cool unless of course you need to accelerate in an emergency and you realize your car isn't quite as peppy as it use to be lol :D

Even if you jump to a mid grade 89 gas on your regular fuel car it will have little benefit in terms of performance on a variable timed (or not) regular fuel engine. You won't feel it because the engine will adapt to provide you the same performance numbers. The only way to take advantage of octane changes in modern or VVT engines is to hack the computer and provide a new map otherwise the engine is always trying to adapt to its programmed map regardless of what you fuel it with.

Now if your car has a paragraph like this Volvo owners manual that says...

"Volvo engines are designed for optimum performance on unleaded premium gasoline with an AKI (Anti Knock Index) of 91 or above. The minimum octane requirement is AKI 87." Then there are two maps, one for 91 gas and one for 87 gas.

The Owners manual is your friend believe it ;)

Oh, my god, I have been putting premium since the first day I purchased my 05 2.5i.

However, is it true that lower grade gas will leave more carbon while burning in your engine (incomplete burning)??

which leads to lower performance while time went by (especially for those AT people)

I know we might be able to clean those by adding fuel cleaner in your tank.

Just my thought

Panson

Archived