LegacyGT.com

05 Factory Head Unit

CJoshuaV

I just got a 2005 Legacy Wagon GT that I love. It came from the dealer with an XM FM Modulator that can theoretically also be connected to an appropriate head unit via RCA cable. First question: Where do I go to get detailed spec's on the factory stereo? Second question: Does anyone know if the factory head unit has an auxilliary in port? I noticed that the display has a "SAT" indicator immediately to the right of " CD 1 2 3 4 5 6". I thought that was encouraging. Third question: The manual describes a second head unit with a six-cd changer AND the ability to play MP3 CD's. Is that head unit available in the US? Thanks for your help. -Joshua

There is no AUX in. The display has a "SAT" indicator, but it's non-functional. Have you noticed that the input selector has three positions (FM, AM ,CD) - you can't push on the bottom of the button? Well, today I looked inside on the circuit board and there are actually four switch pads, and the bottom one has "SAT" printed next to it. That was very encouraging! I removed the plastic bar that blocks you from pushing on the bottom of the switch, in the hope that this would allow me to select SAT input, and that I could then find the place to attach the wires for the aux input. Unfortunately it doesn't work - the fourth input switch position has no effect and I assume it's disabled electronically. Subaru really dropped the ball here, they are way behind most other manufacturers. It looks like this stereo is designed to have a satellite input but they have elected not to install the parts for it. The other choices for AUX-in are the CD-input hack or an FM modulator or transmitter; other threads have already discussed these options in detail. Tim.

>>Is it easy to get that front panel off? Yes, it's pretty easy to remove the front panel once you have the stereo out, assuming you are comfortable with taking delicate electronic stuff apart. >>Hmm, perhaps the radio [i]would[/i] do something when that switch is pressed [i]if[/i] it detected an active signal on the right wire(s)... This is quite possible, and would be consistent with the CD button, which is inactive when there is no CD in the drive. However, figuring out how to fool the stereo into thinking there is a satellite attached is another story - there is no connector on the back panel for it and even if there was one it might have a digital control interface of some kind, not a simple audio signal presence sensor. Perhaps when (if?) Subaru actually comes out with a satellite option we will learn whether it can be fitted to existing 2005 stereos, and if so we might have a chance to figure out the inputs. Tim.

[quote name='CJoshuaV']Does anyone have a link to a pictoral explanation of how to remove the panel that covers the radio and HVAC controls? -Joshua[/QUOTE] Get your hands on this before you start any project. ;) [url="http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316&highlight=vacation+pics"]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316&highlight=vacation+pics[/url]

[quote name='CJoshuaV']Thanks, that's handy. I'm wading through all 500 documents, but I still haven't found the one that explains how to take off the panel. You wouldn't happen to know the document number, would you? -Joshua[/QUOTE] [color=black][font='Times New Roman']No but try reading over this in sure you are just a few screws away… [/font][/color] [url="http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626&highlight=cabin+air+filter"]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626&highlight=cabin+air+filter[/url]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='taddison']There is no AUX in. The display has a "SAT" indicator, but it's non-functional. Have you noticed that the input selector has three positions (FM, AM ,CD) - you can't push on the bottom of the button? Well, today I looked inside on the circuit board and there are actually four switch pads, and the bottom one has "SAT" printed next to it. That was very encouraging! I removed the plastic bar that blocks you from pushing on the bottom of the switch, in the hope that this would allow me to select SAT input, and that I could then find the place to attach the wires for the aux input. Unfortunately it doesn't work - the fourth input switch position has no effect and I assume it's disabled electronically. Subaru really dropped the ball here, they are way behind most other manufacturers. It looks like this stereo is designed to have a satellite input but they have elected not to install the parts for it. The other choices for AUX-in are the CD-input hack or an FM modulator or transmitter; other threads have already discussed these options in detail. Tim.[/QUOTE] Anyone made any progress with this?

[quote name='taddison']I removed the plastic bar that blocks you from pushing on the bottom of the switch, in the hope that this would allow me to select SAT input, and that I could then find the place to attach the wires for the aux input. Unfortunately it doesn't work - the fourth input switch position has no effect and I assume it's disabled electronically. [/QUOTE] On bootup (plug in cable or disconnect battery) the firmware will disable any function that does not report as ready. You can try this by jamming the cd player when it does its POST. You will no longer be able to switch to CD.

[quote name='Deer Killer']On bootup (plug in cable or disconnect battery) the firmware will disable any function that does not report as ready. You can try this by jamming the cd player when it does its POST. You will no longer be able to switch to CD.[/QUOTE] Oh, I know this all too well... :(

Guest JessterCPA
So let me get this straight. We have a SAT in the display, and a SAT on the circuit board. We can possibly engage that SAT by modifying the switch to press down. That circuitry has to be in the radio somewhere then right? If we can find where those inputs SHOULD be, then be have the starting of being able to possibly enable this function. Am I missing something here? I am no electronics guru, but there seems to be a missing link here which is located somewhere in the box we call a radio.

[quote name='JessterCPA']So let me get this straight. We have a SAT in the display, and a SAT on the circuit board. We can possibly engage that SAT by modifying the switch to press down. That circuitry has to be in the radio somewhere then right? If we can find where those inputs SHOULD be, then be have the starting of being able to possibly enable this function. Am I missing something here? I am no electronics guru, but there seems to be a missing link here which is located somewhere in the box we call a radio.[/QUOTE] Software :) You can hope the "ready" signal is pin and not a modulated signal.

Hmmmmm.....I might just yank my radio back out to fool with it. I need to reground the OEM sub anyways, as I am getting some turn-on pop. I suspect the radio is ready for the SAT internally......just need to see what is not connected on the board. I wired in an AUX adaptor on the MINI this weekend - the NAV system had a plug in the spot where the AUX plug goes in. I looked at the pin assignments and they were different, so combining the two sets of wires into one plug did the trick......iPod works, as did the voice for the NAV. I suspect the LGT will not take so well to playing with the setup SOA let's us have. I might drop the car off at the shop I used to work at.....have one of the techs look at it. Schematics will help.

• 2 years later...

Zombie thread. Back from the dead!

I just noticed the extra switch pads myself, and was wondering if (in the two years since this thread was last updated) anyone has learned anything new about the dormant satellite features in our head unit. It would be awesome to get an extra aux-in this way.

Has anyone looked at the guts of a factory radio with the satellite bits enabled? Or, is the wiring harness any different?

• 1 month later...

Archived