LegacyGT.com

Perrin Endlink = Borked after 8 Months

gmorris

I've been chasing around a really annoying rattling sound from the back end of my car for about a month now. It seemed to be a very "light" rattle than occured any time I went over any type of uneven pavement and did not require a large compression or anything to cause it. I first thought it was a loose line or bolt because it didn't seem to require any type of suspension movement to hear it.

Finally yesterday I got a buddy to bouce the back of the car very lightly while I layed under it and it turned out to be one end of my Perrin endlink. The bolt was tight so I swapped the stocker back in and the noise stopped. There appears to be a little free movement between the sperical ball and the link itslef...very little play that is hardly noticeable when it's out of the car but incredibly annoying when it's in the car. They have been installed since end of last Sept. I played with the passenger side one and it appears to be pretty free moving and I'm sfraid it will start making noise soon too.

I guess I'll find out how Perrin warranty is.

Are you sure the noise is not being caused by the endlink hitting the control arm? This has been documented in a few strings for Perrin rear bars (which deffinitely don't fit particularly well. I have the same problem, and it seems to be getting worse over time. If it is, in fact, getting worse, that would suggest that your explanation is correct. An ill-fitting bar should clunk right from the start, whereas wearing end link bushings would get worse over time..

Are you sure the noise is not being caused by the endlink hitting the control arm? This has been documented in a few strings for Perrin rear bars (which deffinitely don't fit particularly well. I have the same problem, and it seems to be getting worse over time. If it is, in fact, getting worse, that would suggest that your explanation is correct. An ill-fitting bar should clunk right from the start, whereas wearing end link bushings would get worse over time..

It is definately a worn out link. While my buddy was moving the rear of the car I had my hand over the link end and could feel the movement in the link itself. The bar contacting the suspension can be solved by moving the link to the stiffest position...at least that did the trick on mine.

OK, I crawled under and confirmed that the rattle in my rear suspension is worn Perrin endlink bushings. I've had them installed since last August. According to the Perrin Web site, they use premium rod end bushings, but I'm not so sure. Can anyone confirm that some alternate manufacturer endlinks stand up better than this? I may end up fabricating my own endlinks from high quality rod ends (Heim joints) connected by a threaded rod. It would be expensive, though, since really good rod ends cost $30 - $40 a piece.

At least I'm not the only one. I called Perrin tech about it and they were very quick to blame installation error as I suspected they would. There is nothing wrong with the link except for play between the stainless ball and the housing so I don't think installation has anything to do with it. He also made it sound liek if the problem was caused by corrosion of teh ball they would not be covered under warranty...wtf? A part designed to live underneath a car should maybe be designed for wet salty conditions or should not be sold anywhere that has a winter.

At this point I'm not sure if I'll bother going to the expense of sending them in or just buy something from a reputable company.

Cobb released a nice looking one....similar to the Perrin in design. They stand behind their products, but it's a new thing for them. I had AVO endlinks and one crapped out on me. Seems like nothing is a good bet. Better to go cheap and replace them regularly I guess. eBay has some inexpensive ones.

Well, I put perrin endlinks on 2 weeks ago and I guess I'll have to keep an eye on them. You might think that an aftermarket "improvement" product might last more than 8-9 months.(?):confused:

gmorris- let us know what you decide, whether you send 'em back or not. I'm interested in how many peeps have these, and how many fail.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I'm willing to bet they will all fail rather quickly. Mine show a little bit of corrosion pitting on the ball but I think the real problem is their "carbon impregnated plastic bushings" or whatever the hell crap they put inside is just wearing out. The driver's side is rattling and when I checked the passeger's side it was getting pretty loose. Don't even want to look at the fronts at this point. I bought mine soon after they were released so I'm sure that their stringent testing has already weeded out the problem and they made midstream production changes:rolleyes:

I think sway bar endlinks receive a huge amount of punishment, and when any amount of clearance is permitted between the ball and the housing, the constant pounding of normal use will open up the clearance even further. On a dedicated race car that experiences limited mileage, this effect will be less noticeable. Usually, these types of dry unprotected rod ends are not found on road cars. However, you can get rod ends with integral grease fittings. If my alternatives end up being going back to stock or fabricating my own, I think I'll try the greased rod end route.

It's an exposed spherical bearing. What did you guys think was going to happen? Spherical bearings that are not protected don't belong on the street. It's as simple as that.

Warren

I think there's an echo in here:icon_tong

I called Perrin tech about it and they were very quick to blame installation error as I suspected they would.

How the phuck do you install an endlink wrong? They will blame everyone but themselves. If they could blame Bush they would. As big as they are, they should be capable of standing behind their products, including their failures, such as Edelbrock.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

How the phuck do you install an endlink wrong? They will blame everyone but themselves. If they could blame Bush they would. As big as they are, they should be capable of standing behind their products, including their failures, such as Edelbrock.

+1

I have tried to stay out of the perrin bashing so far, but come on... Installation error? :confused: BS

I am now changing my wish list to take out any perrin items...

We use bearings in our adjustable mounts. For the record, each bearing is about 75$. THese bearings will go about 2 seasons of off road competition before starting to make the same type of sounds described in this thread (bearings are bearings)

We did test sevral types of bearings from 3$ units, to 10$ units (like what is used in the majority of aftermarket mounts, links, etc>) Typical life span on a street car was about 4 months before they were toast. The teflon lining will wear out, just a matter of time.

Someone said it before, bearings are bearings, and not are excellent for what they are designed to do, but not suitable for all applications .... like a street car.

Thanks for the plug highwaydrifter.

-mark

I am now changing my wish list to take out any perrin items...

you get it now? :) once you have to deal with them on a problem and they belittle you instead of taking responsibilty, it makes you wish you'd never spent a dime on their product. We've got a Subaru and a MINI, with another MINI on the way....alot of Perrin and Alta stuff out there....thousands of dollars worth if you add up what will be bought for all three cars. No mas!

Archived