LegacyGT.com

Official SOA Pronouncement on synthetic oil.

I called Manchester [NH] Subaru a few weeks ago to schedule an oil change on my 3.0R - 3K miles.

The service writer told me that they don't have anything in writing but Subaru does not recommend the use of synthetic oil in cars with variable valve timing. He stated further that it is too thin to activate the solenoids.

This sounded like BS (and as it turns out, was, as they stock Mobil I and sell it all the time) so I emailed SOA and got the following response mailed me.

Thank you blah blah blah.....

Yes, you can use synthetic oil in your Subaru. If you do use synthetic oil, we would recommend that you always use it in your engine because your engine will become accostomned to it. The same goes if you decide to use 'regular' oil.

Synthetic oils can be used in our engines if the user follows the engine oil recommendations prescribed in the owner's manual. Subaru has not tested the compatibility of all syntthetic oils with engine seals, but the petroleum industry does adhere to standards for refining process which meet Subaru requirements. Subaru does not guarantee the performance of any brand of engine oil.

Engine oil guidelines: - only use engine oil that meets or exceeds API classification designated in the Owner's Manual for the vehicle. - only use engine oil that meets the VISCOSITY requirements for the ambient temperatures under which the vehicle will be operated as outlined in the Owner's Manual - THE ENGINE OIL MUST BE CHANGED AT INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THE WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE BOOKLET FOR THE VEHICLE. SOME SYNTHETIC OIL REFINERS RECOMMEND EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS SUBARU DOES NOT RECOMMEND DEVIATION FROM THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

Thank you blah blah blah...

John J. Mergan

Subaru of America Inc.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be an "Announcement" then

I made an announcement.

Subaru made a pronouncement.

We both have too much time on our hands, apparently.....

BS from Manchester doesn't surprise me.. I've gotten more than one line from them.. Who do they think they are fooling? Whatever, not going back..

In fairness, when I called back a Service Manager correctly stated the policy, and asked me who I spoke with so he could go slap him, but I didn't record his name. No harm, no foul.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I've heard that from a high-up SOA technical manager at a chat session at Edmund's many years ago. I'm glad they're at least consistent within SOA.

What SOA needs to do is make sure the story is consistent throughout all their dealerships. That's where the variability exists.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe how many people, including mechanics who should know better, still have such misguided ideas about synthetic oil. They're still living back in the '70's I guess.

Synthetics have seen fairly widespread use for the past twenty years or more. Today virtually every brand offers a synthetic version. It's mainstream - very, very common stuff - not some exotic experimental formula that is unproven.

It would be nothing short of stupid for a car manufacturer to have a policy against using synthetic oil. The only exception to that would probably be the Mazda rotary engines which indeed do apparently have a problem with synthetics due to their design.

People shouldn't even bother asking the dealership about this issue. Just use it if you want to.

IIRC, Mazda indicated the same thing for the Miata variable cam actuators. Probably BS, but then I've never used synth motor oil.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I can't believe how many people, including mechanics who should know better, still have such misguided ideas about synthetic oil. They're still living back in the '70's I guess.

Synthetics have seen fairly widespread use for the past twenty years or more. Today virtually every brand offers a synthetic version. It's mainstream - very, very common stuff - not some exotic experimental formula that is unproven.///

The irony is that since the lawsuit by Mobil against Castrol, the distinction between "synthetic" oils and other types is substantially blurred, since highly refined dino oil can now be sold as "synthetic."

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 1 month later...
why take a chance?

why spend the extra?

+1

Too many discussions, studies, theories, recommendations, arguments and BS. I still change my oil & filter every 3500 miles or every 3 months.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

• 3 weeks later...
why take a chance?

why spend the extra?

I'm using synthetic because one of my coworkers recently sold his Ford Explorer with 328,000 miles on it - and only because it needed a new catalytic converter. He used Mobil I and changed at the factory interval, and that thing ran perfectly.

Also, it's a company car so I can experiment with pre-tax dollars. I did oil analysis on our 97 and a company truck but those both used dino oil. So I can do this one with synthetic from the git go and it's driven over 20,000 miles a year so we'll hit 100K relatively quickly.

The oil life sensor finally went off on the Chevy van at 8,925 miles, 80% highway 20% urban.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I called Manchester [NH] Subaru a few weeks ago to schedule an oil change on my 3.0R - 3K miles.

The service writer told me that they don't have anything in writing but Subaru does not recommend the use of synthetic oil in cars with variable valve timing. He stated further that it is too thin to activate the solenoids.

This sounded like BS (and as it turns out, was, as they stock Mobil I and sell it all the time) so I emailed SOA and got the following response mailed me.

There is so much back and forth about synthetics but there is one rule of thumb that most experts agree on: A brand new engine should not use synthetic for at least the first 3K miles. Synthetics offer too much lubrication for an engine that is breaking in. All of the parts especially the pistons have to seat properly. The cylinder walls actually need to form abrations if you will so the pistons and rings will seat . Synthetics prevent this from happening to it's fullest potential. Conventional oil for the first 3K and synthetic for the life of the car. And feel free to rev the engine and drive at a constant high speed. The stresses help to, again, seat all the moving parts properly.

I'm using synthetic because one of my coworkers recently sold his Ford Explorer with 328,000 miles on it - and only because it needed a new catalytic converter. He used Mobil I and changed at the factory interval, and that thing ran perfectly.

Plenty of examples out there of cars exceeding 300k on dino oil as well. Most if not all engines manufactured today, with reasonable use, will outlast the vehicle's chassis if a modern SM rated oil is used in a reasonable OCI. Dino or synth.

I think a lot of the SOA reluctance about synthetics relates to oil leaks. My 1995 Legacy had dino oil leaks from both the front and rear seals requiring expensive repairs after warranty. Synthetic can probably result in the leaks showing up during the warranty period rather than after so SOA want to avoid any possible problem because they don't see the benefit from the synthetics, only the problems.

why take a chance?

You are not "taking a chance" with synthetic.

why spend the extra?

Because synthetic is so superior to dino that it's not even close; just look at the specs.

Nobody is saying that dino is bad; it will work fine. But true synthetic is light years ahead in terms of protection. Anybody that says synthetic will harm your car is truly ignorant.

I think a lot of the SOA reluctance about synthetics relates to oil leaks. My 1995 Legacy had dino oil leaks from both the front and rear seals requiring expensive repairs after warranty. Synthetic can probably result in the leaks showing up during the warranty period rather than after so SOA want to avoid any possible problem because they don't see the benefit from the synthetics, only the problems.

I'd rather use synthetic and have it leak under warranty than use dino and have it leak out of warranty.

I'd rather use synthetic and have it leak under warranty than use dino and have it leak out of warranty.

How do you know that you'll have leaks at all with dino? Or leaks with synth for that matter...One or two cases of leaks with either oil is hardly enough to condemn either synth or dino.

How do you know that you'll have leaks at all with dino? Or leaks with synth for that matter...One or two cases of leaks with either oil is hardly enough to condemn either synth or dino.

Keep your pants on :) I'm just responding to joeb-z comment about his dino leak. I think this whole leak thing is overblown too. Fact is I don't know if I will have leaks but if my engine is one of those freak ones that is going to leak then i'll really be happy if it leaked in warranty (dino or synth whatever). Wouldn't you?

True enough. It just amazes me how much bad/incorrect info there is out there regarding oil, esp. synth, and how many OMT's (Old Mechanics Tales) out there that some buy into based on anecdotal at best 'evidence'. I'm still confused as to why someone would put $6 - $7 per quart oil in their car and change it out only 3k miles later.

Archived