LegacyGT.com

The Next Gen Leg - Update

I was invited to a focus group for subaru owners this weekend. it was cool, because for basically an hour and a half of looking at concepts and interviews and answering questions, i got $125. :D

anyways, there were basically 6 different "concepts" and a host of questions about just about every aspect of each one. all the concepts were debadged, silver, and had basically similar, if not identical wheels.

the first thing i noticed, is that two of the "concepts" were existing cars (3 actually). this was confirmed (i guess) by the fact that most of the questions about the other three were about how innovative the look was, how sporty, how classy, etc. even how they matched up with certain car brands and how it would change (if at all) your perception about subaru.

the three existing cars inlcuded a legacy (05/06), an accord, and an altima. the other three were true concepts. one of them was basically a ford focus front end, tagged onto a saab rear end (9-3 ish) it was cool, but didn't speak subaru at all to me, and was almost a hatch back b/c the cabin was so long, and the lack of a real trunk on the back (it was a trunk, but maybe only a few inches long.) there was an audi style rear end tagged onto an acura TL nose (these are general themes, not actually photo chops of the cars)

the one i'm basically convinced was the new legacy, was also one of the best 2 looking there. imagine the new gen impreza headlights, centered by a more open, unobstructed grill area. there were no funky hood / grill elements that have the subaru enthusast community divided on the impreza. The rear had thin sort of trapezoidal lights higher up on the rear end, and the car basically looked a little beefier than the curent gen. it didn't necessarily look like a TL, but it kind of had a similar persona. it was def. more aggressive in stance and ride height. it was equipped with 18" wheels, and sat very low on them.

i'd say, if someone tried to chop impreza lamps on the front of a leg with an RBS grill, you'd have a pretty good idea of the look (although the grill was taller top to bottom( the bumper and front of the car is "taller" meaning that there is more of a fascia presence than the relatively thin and flat nose of the current gen leg.

too bad they didn't allow phones or cameras... i'd have loved to share.

dR

heightsgtltd

I was called by a focus group company, not subaru. they asked if i still owned my subaru, and i said "which one". :) they said the group was to discuss subaru. no one at the place would say that though, which wasn't a shocker. also, many of the questions in the forms were subaru related.

rallisport

no scoop on any of the three obvious concepts. the 05/04 leg gt did have one. i commented on how much i liked it. :D

heightsgtltd

there were some interior option stuff discussed in my interview, and at another exercise during the session. i don't think it's valuable prediction stuff though, for example, all the options discussed the same level stereo, or a relatively similar transmission (4sp vs 5 spd), or power level (185 hp engine (no v6, 4 cyl or even boxer language). i think they were really focussing on styling, impression or price, etc. there were some obvious awd questions too (another subaru thing)

dR

dark_rex: ^^^ I wanna hear this story! ^^^ It's your thread, wanna go off topic for a post or two? :)

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126054

this is the thread that did it.

Tim installed a bunch of new money making measures to the club, including requesting donations from users, and intellitext. he posted up asking people's opinions. i gave mine. Tim didn't like it: Bam.

dR

WOW! Tide > Tim... sorry, off topic... Anyways, let's hope there are some more people who went to these focus groups cause I'd love to hear more. Thanks for posting such a detailed post dark_rex on your little "group meeting". It's great to have inside info!!!
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

next Legacy spyshot? HAWT!

http://www.culttvman.net/shopping/pics/HomerCar01.jpg

The Homer. One of the best Simpson's EVER - "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Some Homerism's:

"Some things are so snazzy they never go out of style! Like tail fins... And bubble domes... And shag carpeting..."

"I want a horn here, here, and here. You can never find a horn when you're mad. And they should all play `La Cucaracha'."

Advisor: "What about a separate soundproof bubble-dome for the kids with optional restraints and muzzles?"

Homer: "Bullseye!"

"All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way. Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it."

Edit: Oh yeah, 5 years, 12,692 posts and a former mod. WOW! I think you were qualified to voice your opinion too!

At focus groups they won't tell you who the sponsor was because this would bias responses. You can usually figure it out anyway, but the general population won't. I'm assuming that not everyone there was a current owner. Notice what other people were driving? Probably a healthy number of Altimas, Accords, Camrys.

If they were showing you three themes, then officially no decision has been made yet, as otherwise conducting research would be a waste of money. Often what they'll do is combine bits of one theme with bits of another, in response to what people liked and didn't like. Did they ask you which details you liked and didn't like about each one? This is common.

Designers hate it when the market research gets down to the detail level, though. They work best with broader inputs.

Archived