LegacyGT.com

Foglight-only mod?

Xenonk

I know I have down the wiring of the WRX to have its stock foglights switch on and off independently from the headlights (rather than having to always turn on the headlights first before the fogs can turn on and off).. but does anyone know how to do it on the GTs? I am looking around for a wiring guide, but have no luck finding one online. I would love to have the fog lights just turn on by themselves.. just another control-freak thing for me, anyone? Thanks. Keefe
Keefe

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is probably a signal wire that enables the circuit when the headlights, markers, or even the dash/console lights are on. Find that wire, trick it by connecting it to ignition switched power, or even constant 12volts (don't forget to turn them off) and you'll have your mod. If the circuits are negative switched, then it becomes a bit more complex.

[quote name='jedimaster']I did this to my WRX- I'd imagine the Legacy wiring is different though.[/quote] Me too...but I didn't hook it independently to a 12v source, I instead used a switched source. Knowing me, I'd leave it on and drain my battery....

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']There is probably a signal wire that enables the circuit when the headlights, markers, or even the dash/console lights are on. Find that wire, trick it by connecting it to ignition switched power, or even constant 12volts (don't forget to turn them off) and you'll have your mod. If the circuits are negative switched, then it becomes a bit more complex.[/quote] yea, it's negative switch alright... just have to find a feed for a constant 12v to the power source for the fog light.. the question is.. where is that wire that sends the power to the fog light? I am not going to tamper with the actual switch itself to find it.. I was wondering if anyone else have done this job? Keefe
Keefe

• 4 weeks later...
On one of my other cars, the trigger wire for the factory relay for the fog lights was connected to the low beam headlight circuit. When +12V was applied to that circuit, it activated the relay and the fog lights came on. When the headlights were switched to high beams, or turned off, the relay de-activated. (I might be wrong about the trigger wire polartiy. It is more likely the absensce/presence of the ground connection for the lights that triggered the relay.) The fix on that car was to place a jumper wire on one pin of the relay and connect it to a constant ground. I'll bet that something similar is happening here. I really need to get a look at the wiring diagrams for this car!!!

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Trent Bates'] When the headlights were switched to high beams, or turned off, the relay de-activated.[/quote] I really hate that.. Why would they do that anyway? If I'm using the high beams I want as much light as possible :([/quote] I've read that the idea behind that is that having light reflect off of items on the road immediately in front of you makes it harder to see items further down the road. I find that the lights on these Legacy's are much, much better than the lights that I have to put up with on my GTP.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Trent Bates'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Trent Bates'] When the headlights were switched to high beams, or turned off, the relay de-activated.[/quote] I really hate that.. Why would they do that anyway? If I'm using the high beams I want as much light as possible :([/quote] I've read that the idea behind that is that having light reflect off of items on the road immediately in front of you makes it harder to see items further down the road. I find that the lights on these Legacy's are much, much better than the lights that I have to put up with on my GTP.[/quote] What year is your GTP? I had a 2000.

[quote name='Th3Franz']I know some people have done this to Ford Focii. I think it involved using a relay or something.. I don't know if Subarus would need to have something similar done or not.[/quote] i know i know [quote]How To Do It! Cost: Almost free Time Required:Less than 5 min. What you'll need: A few inch of 12ga (or thicker) wire Wire Stripper/Cutter/Crimper Combo tool (cheap at parts store if you don't own one) 2 Spade Lug Crimp Terminals (cheap at parts store) Fuse/relay puller or some prying tool 1. Open your hood and locate the fuse box (Drivers' side near windshield) 2. Open fuse box and locate R13 according to the map on the fuse box cover 3. Pry, pull, or otherwise remove Relay #R13 from it's socket. It is in there tight but it comes out! 4. Cut a length of wire about 2 inches long. Strip the ends and crimp a spade lug to each end. 5. Push the lugs in to connect the two parallel sockets (not the 3 parallel ones). 6. ALL DONE! This modification might cause you to fail inspection if they check to see that fog lights are only on with your low beams and at no other time. I keep the relay in my glove box just in case.[/quote] from focushacks.com but this is usless to us. lol. time to read the rest of the responces

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Trent Bates'] When the headlights were switched to high beams, or turned off, the relay de-activated.[/quote] I really hate that.. Why would they do that anyway? If I'm using the high beams I want as much light as possible :([/quote] in my foci i found a way to have high low and ofgs on all at once :D . has to do with flash to pass position of the switch. but i got it so high beams leave the lows on to. as if always flashing to pass

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Trent Bates']Mine is a 1998. Did you happen to hang out on the GP forums a few years ago?[/quote] Yeah, different username than I use now though.

• 3 weeks later...
Definitely looks like they are exploiting the voltage differential across the headlight filament to activate the relay! I'll bet that unhooking the LW wire at pin 11 and grounding it will fix the issue. There's not enough information in the schematic above to be sure. It could be that the VL wire that runs through the Front Fog Light Switch and becomes the WR wire is grounded instead.

where DO you get THESE diagrams!? Do you have one for the pinouts on the ECU too??!!!!! ok, I also need the other half of this drawing. I need to know what "B" is hook up to.. my guess if it's the same way as the WRX, you would need to BRIDGE the VL11 wire to LW12 wire Keefe
Keefe

Archived