LegacyGT.com

Foglight-only mod?

Xenonk

so let em get this straight by your instructions: the fogs come on when the parking lights come on will the fog switch still turn the fogs off or are they always on when the parking lights are on? (basicly) is the fog switch still inbeween power source and the relay?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume we're elaborating on the "Why don't you just use an inline Diode and save on a bunch of wiring?" question? I don't remember which situation this refers to, but whether it's the "fogs with parking" or "fogs with high beam", the answer is the same. The main reason would be that you would be powering the fog circuit with the high beam or the fog circuit, either way pulling more amperage than it was designed for. Spent $5 on a relay, do it right, and it'll last the lifetime of the car. Do it a "quick and dirty" way and it may not be long before your car goes up in flames.

[quote name='Jaxx']so let em get this straight by your instructions: the fogs come on when the parking lights come on will the fog switch still turn the fogs off or are they always on when the parking lights are on? or is the fog switch still inbeween source and the relay?[/QUOTE] Wow, we were typing at the same time. Yes, if you do it as described at the beginning of this thread, the fogs will be on with the parking and low beams, and the fog switch will still turn them off at any time you want. [i]Only[/i] if you do the second "blue wire" part, the "fogs w/ high beam", will the switch no longer work. Note that if you have the stalk in the high-beam position, the fogs won't work no matter what, even if only the parking lights are on at the time -- it has to do with how the stalk is wired.

FYI I've taken a look at the schematics and it seems that it is possible to have the fogs on with high beams (It is double switched). You need to take the red/white wire from the DRL module and attach it to the ground source of your choice. Accessory switched ground, parking light switched ground (black/white wire from "MB-14 Tail and Illumination relay"), or constant ground (if you like dead batteries :p). *disclaimer* I haven't tried this, even if I did, don't blame me when you blow something up.

Wouldn't that result in the same thing as grounding the blue wire -- fogs that are on when the lights are and you can't turn them off with the fog switch? After the "fogs w/ parking" mod, the only thing turning off the fogs during high beam is that when you move the stalk to the high beam position, it physically turns off the fog circuit just as if you turned the switch to off. If it did not have that behavior, the fogs would be on during high beam too, and the fog switch would work at any time.

[quote name='John M']Wouldn't that result in the same thing as grounding the blue wire -- fogs that are on when the lights are and you can't turn them off with the fog switch? After the "fogs w/ parking" mod, the only thing turning off the fogs during high beam is that when you move the stalk to the high beam position, it physically turns off the fog circuit just as if you turned the switch to off. If it did not have that behavior, the fogs would be on during high beam too, and the fog switch would work at any time.[/QUOTE] The ground side is disconnected by the high beam switch, the hot side is connected by the low beams. Just need to find the ground side and re-wire it.

[size=2]I live in the N.W. burbs of Chicago and i will pay somone $50 that knows how to make my fogs go on with my parking lights. Got a heated garage to do it in.[/size] [size=2]I have bad luck everytime i mess with somthing on my cars, i'd rather pay someone to do it for me. I live in Streamwood around Rt. 59 & Rt. 20 Anyone?[/size] [size=2]Please let me know, Thanks[/size]

[quote name='Jedi Pimp']What is the point of driving around with just your fogs and parking lights and no low beams? I don't get it.[/QUOTE] Some people do it casue they think it looks cool. I personally think it looks really stupid. But, other people do it for practical reasons. In really thick fog, even the low beams are too much light, so turning them off and having just the fog lights on is enough to see, but not too much.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

[quote name='Deer Killer']The ground side is disconnected by the high beam switch, the hot side is connected by the low beams. Just need to find the ground side and re-wire it.[/QUOTE] We already know where it is -- it's the purple wire w/ the light blue stripe (one square above the blue/white wire) in this pic: [img]http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/fogmod1.jpg[/img] It carries ground from the stalk to the relay. There's no way to prevent the stalk-mounted switch from removing ground when you go to high beam except perhaps taking it apart and cutting traces/wires. Plan B is to ground this wire permanantly, which is the same as the fog light switch being "stuck on" at all times.

In your diagram, the VL wire is the ground coming from the stalk. Even if ground is supplied to the fog switch by the WR wire, and you were to supply it with ground all the time (so it didn't go away during high beam), it's a moot point. Moving the stalk to the high beam position mechanically performs the same function as turning the fog switch off. It disconnects it just as if you turned off the "FRONT FOG LIGHT SWITCH". How do I know it's mechanical and not electrical? Because if you have the lights on low beam and push forward on the stalk slowly, you can get the high beams to come on without turning off the fogs. Only with the stalk all the way forward do the fogs cut off. That tells me the disconnect is within the stalk.

[quote name='John M']In your diagram, the VL wire is the ground coming from the stalk. Even if ground is supplied to the fog switch by the WR wire, and you were to supply it with ground all the time (so it didn't go away during high beam), it's a moot point. Moving the stalk to the high beam position mechanically performs the same function as turning the fog switch off. It disconnects it just as if you turned off the "FRONT FOG LIGHT SWITCH". How do I know it's mechanical and not electrical? Because if you have the lights on low beam and push forward on the stalk slowly, you can get the high beams to come on without turning off the fogs. Only with the stalk all the way forward do the fogs cut off. That tells me the disconnect is within the stalk.[/QUOTE] So subaru ran extra wires to a multipole switch to disconnect the ground to the fog relay even though the switch already does it? Also consider that they are physically two different switches, seperated by several inches of stalk. Your test is characteristic of most MPDT switches. Oh well.. wait until it's warm and dry out, I'll confirm which wire physically.

Here's my plan: disable headlight DRLs do fog light mod, with Boosted's [URL=http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=60174&postcount=66]alteration[/URL] replace fog bulbs with PIAA ion crystals normally always leave the fog switch in the on position This should result in just the fogs being lit when the headlight switch is in off position (fogs as yellow DRLs, no other exterior lamps lit), the fogs stay on when the headlight switch is turned to parking lights or headlights on, they go off when high beams selected, and I'd still be able to turn off the fogs at anytime desired by setting the fog switch to off no matter what the headlight switch is set at be it off, parking or on. Does this sound right or am I missing something? I'm heasitant to start cutting up wiring unless I'm pretty sure I'll get what I'm looking for.

[quote name='John M']Yep, that'll do exactly what you're looking for. Just remember - don't go over 55w for fog bulbs if you want them to last longer than a few weeks.[/QUOTE] Thanks for confirming this. I ordered a pair of PIAA 55w H3 bulbs last week. If their lifespan turns out to be not so good then I'll just switch to some el cheapo yellow bulbs.

• 1 year later...
[quote name='John M']Done! [URL="http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/fogmod.html"]http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/fogmod.html[/URL] Can't do "fogs with high beams"; further explanation on the mod page.[/quote]I did this today. Very easy with your instructions it took about 1/2 hour. Thanks

Denial is your best friend

Archived