LegacyGT.com

Brake shake results

G.T.Subie

typially, "brake shake" under heavier braking is a result of deposits built up on the rotor from sitting around for a couple days, or a warped rotor. if it's just deposits, a few fairly heavy braking incedents should remedy the problem.

rotors can warp from uneven cooling after brake application. if they are warped, your dealer will offer to turn them, but that's silly, in my opinion. if the rotor already warped, simply removing material to make one side flat again is not really addressing the issue. I had the problem in my WRX, and i just put some stoptech slotted rotors on after my first major brake job. they lasted almost 50,000 miles with no problems.

dR

thanks but they just "cut" the rotors after 1000 miles and its back again 100 miles later. takin to the dealer today.Looking for new pads.

It's not the pads! Just make sure that the pulsations are noticeable at low speeds. I had pulsations but only at higher speeds (70+mph), and the dealer said that they would have to wait for it to get worse, because it wasn't out of spec enough.

I wound up upgrading to STI Brembo's! Problem solved and then some!

Try to get the dealer to cover them under warranty! If that fails and you're still not happy, you can purchase brand new OEM rotors for like $76 ea. from Wlikin's Subaru in Md. Talk to Jackie, and she'll hook you up.

Brakes= have them replace the rotors,if you bought new,you deserve new.It's under warranty.If they dont call SOA 1-800 subaru 3. I just picked up my GT last week,had same prob,,dealer is gonna replace the rotors.

Rudy

Try to get the dealer to cover them under warranty! If that fails and you're still not happy, you can purchase brand new OEM rotors for like $76 ea. from Wlikin's Subaru in Md. Talk to Jackie, and she'll hook you up.

Your kidding right?? Buy new rotors??? The car is brand new!

Rudy:rolleyes:

i have 7800 miles on my LGT ... the dealer "cut" them twice... they told me that i drive to heavy... they covered the labor but i told them that the brakes on this car are a joke and they should be embarrased to lie to me.. Wait till the squeeking starts, then it gets really annoying haha... yeah if you want the problem remedied... BUY NEW ROTORS/PADS

I think one of the root causes of brake shake is that our brake calipers are of the floating not fixed type.

Meaning from http://www.buybrakes.com/brembo/faq.html :

What are the benefits of opposed-piston fixed calipers?

A fixed caliper is secured rigidly to the axle assembly and has at least two opposing pistons that force the pads against the disc. A sliding or floating caliper has pistons on only one side of the disc. Therefore, when the caliper acts, it must slide or float in order to bring the pad on the opposite side in contact with the disc. Nearly all original equipment calipers are of the floating type. In a system with fixed calipers, not only is the mounting much more rigid, but the stiffness of the caliper itself is greatly increased. This manifests itself in enhanced braking performance, pedal feel, and pad wear.

That is why I suspect under moderate/hard braking the floating caliper design contributes to uneven pad wear and eventually rotor warpage. What pisses me off more is that the new 06 Impreza WRX gets 4-pot front and 2-pot rear FIXED-caliper brakes instead of our 2-pot front and 1-pot rear FLOATING-caliper brakes. Thank you, StupidOnArrival.

I keed I keeed

I had my rotors turned 2000 miles ago as part of the 30k service and brake shake hasn't resurfaced. Analyzing my braking style, I concluded that it contributed to the problem and I've changed it drastically. Now I do the following:

- Avoid late braking as much as possible when I'm going to end up stopping at a traffic light because I would heat up the brakes and continue to hold them on the rotors resulting in minor hot spots/uneven pad deposit. But if I had to brake late and sit at a traffic light, I use the parking brake since it doesn't use the brake calipers.

- I avoid getting any kind of liquid(usually water) direclty on the rotors after spirited/hard driving. Don't enter a carwash after you were just on it, I used to do that out of ignorace, but I learned the hard way.

- When braking, I avoid instant and full-on brake application and instead do it gradually and exponentially to allow the rotors to heat up, mate correctly with the pads and to reduce the bad side-effects of floating-caliper brakes.

I keed I keeed

Every OEM car I have ever owned has had floating calipers in the front. This has nothing to do with the likelyhood of brake vibration. It is shoddy rotor material / design.

I don't think that is so with respect to the specific brake system combination we get in the LGT, edmundu switched to STi brembo fixed-calipers and he hasn't complained about brake shake even though he is using the original rotors.

I think the major culprit is the shoddy pad material, since many that have changed to aftermarket pads haven't complained about brake shake again. And next inline are the floating calipers followed by the rotors.

I keed I keeed

I hear you... but fixing the caliper will translate more vibration into the suspension/steering rack instead of less. The sliding action of the caliper is there to help dampen the vibrations.

That is why the OEM's all use them. It is cheaper and more maintenance friendly.

At my recent 24K (km) service, I complained to my dealer about brake shake, and they ended up turning all the rotors, under warranty.

Sure, I drive spiritedly, but I wouldn't say I ever stomp on the brakes, except for the occassional evasive manouever on the highway.

Coming from much heavier Audis, I initially thought the added lightness of the Legacy made its braking quite acceptable, but over time, I'm finding the brakes to be merely average, and in need of improvement.

Archived