LegacyGT.com

Question...with invidia dp

korpsepatrol

The question i pose to you guys... First off If i have an invidia down pipe...which as you know has the divorced mouth. But it has a wide split between them. Can that be causing my vibrations as well as my over boosting? Since it could be touching the waste gate?

Since my symptoms are as follows, when i boost i am going at 24 psi and not only that but there is a rattling noise around my turbo which we cannot find for the life of me. My tuner tried to bring it down but it just won't go down as far as psi goes. My only guess is that it could be that. Any clues? Ideas? Thoughts? Thanks again guys.

The turbo pic is from dubstrong's sale btw.

DSC01692.thumb.jpg.977d85a4a2cb7916ce4f6ba5e25d5f2c.jpg

mouth-of-dp.jpg.2351e02270cc968b7136e06c3bd9e124.jpg

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

That would be interesting if that was causing your overboosting. I have the same downpipe and I've had some serious overboosting too. I was hitting boost cut constantly on my Cobb ots map. I'm still overboosting on my pdx map. No rattling noise though. Subscribed for results.

Yeah i am hitting serious over boost and i think it could be attributed to this little divorce holding the waste gate open or closed whatever it is. Since my tuner told me he can't do anything to keep the boost down for some reason. There is a serious little rattle going on and we checked every bolt and tightened everything and still nothing. So we shall see.

R.I.P Coxx

My next step is on saturday when i will put on the stock dp for a trial to see if it works and if it does then i will be grinding the divorce section. I will post those results.

R.I.P Coxx

Yes there was definitely a problem with mine it was touching the waste gate flapper and i just fixed it this afternoon i will post up pictures later.

R.I.P Coxx

how do you know you hit boost cut? i think ive hit fuel cut before. if i get on it from a stop sign while turning it almost feels like the car shuts off, but it did that on stage 1 without the dp.

I would hit about 19psi and my car would kinda like shut down for a half a second then the cruise light would flash and the CEL would go on. I think the code was P0244.

Tj i do believe your issue might be solved by a tune though. Mine definitely was not due to tune at first it was due to my divorce hitting the waste gate arm. However if you have time to take off your dp(i know its a bish) and see if the divorce has a spot that is not black. I am waiting for my friend to send me the pics.

R.I.P Coxx

5eat. the only problem i seem to have now is a slight odor. not sure if its cause i went catless or if i might have a slight leak. maybe i should just park the car and take a nap to see if i wake up. then i will know what it really is.

Tj i do believe your issue might be solved by a tune though. Mine definitely was not due to tune at first it was due to my divorce hitting the waste gate arm. However if you have time to take off your dp(i know its a bish) and see if the divorce has a spot that is not black. I am waiting for my friend to send me the pics.

When I get some time I'll have to check it out. I was only hitting boost cut with the ots cobb stage 2 map. With my pdx map I'm hitting 20psi still... after they sent me a map revision. I was hitting 21+psi with my first pdx map.

I just really don't think that tuners are fully able to tune 08's yet. I put it on the low boost map and am still hitting 16psi. I'll just wait a few months and see what develops before I worry about it again.

Yeah i wouldnt worry too much about that, that is definitely tune based. However 21psi... not too sure if that is a safe region to be in with a vf40.

R.I.P Coxx

I'm pretty sure that anything over 19 is not a safe. I'm still kind of upset because I don't feel my tune is safe so I'm not driving my car like I would like to. I just got my VAG-COM cable and I'm gonna try to do some data logging later.

How did you know that your wastegate arm was hitting your downpipe? What did you do for a fix?

I am still trying to get my pictures back. But when you take off the dp, look at the divorce extrusion and if you see that in the center or anywhere near it there is a spot that is not covered in carbon that was your wastegate hitting or touching your divorce. Yeah now that i reread it you could be having a similar issue. It will be easy to spot the touching area since the spot won't be totally black.

The fix, cut out a section like a little U where it was hitting so it permits to move. I am waiting on these pictures and you will know what to do once you see it. I want to redo the cut to make it smoother with a dremel. It sucks that apparently i am the first and maybe you too to have this problem. BTW make sure to look at your vacuum line too since i overboosted and blew off the vacuum line under my tmic.

R.I.P Coxx

Here is the pictures as promised. I found the rattle and it was the divorce touching the waste gate hand. After cutting out about a quarter of an inch it stopped the rattle and my over boost issue.

I will smooth out the job this thursday when i will resolve my x02 mid and y leak. I think it might even be rattling against the heatshield under the car. Let me know if you guys know about any issues with that.

Cut-in-the-dp-divorce.jpg.1c855cde8029d60748592ddf3c5a64be.jpg

Divorce-cut-other-angle.jpg.404f522216b9167576d5d80688f84e0e.jpg

touching-section.jpg.40a26067b2f0c99ee7830eed2441daee.jpg

R.I.P Coxx

• 3 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure that anything over 19 is not a safe. I'm still kind of upset because I don't feel my tune is safe so I'm not driving my car like I would like to. I just got my VAG-COM cable and I'm gonna try to do some data logging later.

How did you know that your wastegate arm was hitting your downpipe? What did you do for a fix?

Are you running the cobb stg 2 map? what octane are you using and do you have the Invidia Revision V3 downpipe?

anybody else with a stage 2 map having this problem? I recently installed my invidia dp (yesterday) and will be stage 2 by this weekend. I really wish i found this thread before i bolted up my dp, i would have busted out my die grinder and taken it down. Looks like my accessport install will take a little longer than the 15 to 20 minutes i had anticipated :(

anybody else with a stage 2 map having this problem? I recently installed my invidia dp (yesterday) and will be stage 2 by this weekend. I really wish i found this thread before i bolted up my dp, i would have busted out my die grinder and taken it down. Looks like my accessport install will take a little longer than the 15 to 20 minutes i had anticipated :(

Do you remember what it looked like at all before you put it on. I just got a invidia DP my self and asked why my divider looked like it was machined down. I was linked to this thread. Invidia must have been notified about the problem cause my divider was significatly shorter than most.,

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87569

Yeah just remember to get new oem gaskets or uncrush the gasket it normally works the first time you uncrush it. Let us know how it goes and see if you can take pictures.

R.I.P Coxx

• 1 month later...

Archived