LegacyGT.com

PLX WB02-can it work with Enginuity?

LittleBlueGT

I want to log the AFR from a friend's stage2 LGT and change from K&N panel filter back to stock and see if the AFR changes (like Mike at TDC says it does, today in a thread by a whole point!)

It works with my ST, but that won't work for his car.

How do I get it to log with Enginuity?

I find that hard to believe but I'm in for independent research.

So do I, big time!

I honestly don't think Mike is lying though.

My only worry is that I will prove his point, then support it, and others here will call me crazy.:lol::spin:

Have you ever left your airbox slightly unlatched? You'll throw a P0171 code. Basically, the AFR learning is maxed out.

You don't need a WBO2 sensor to prove Mike's point. Just look at AFR Learning. If it changes it, then you know he's right in that it affects the MAF scaling. You just wouldn't know by how much since the high maf range is different than the medium maf range.

One of the forum members was kind enough to try this experiment out.

With AVO panel filter:

AFR Learning

A 15% capped. Actual may be higher than this.

B 7.2%

C 2.4%

D 5.8%

With the OEM panel filter

AFR Learning

A 7.9%

B 6.8%

C 0.8%

D 2.7%

The ONLY thing that this person did was swap out his air filter. Take a look at AFR learning D. With the aftermarket panel filter, he is flowing 3.1% more air than the MAF thinks he is flowing. That means he will be lean upon initial ecu reset until the AFR learning sets itself up. Methinks that's bad.

The Subaru engine may have very fine engine tolerances and the turbo is very nice, blah, blah, blah... but the AFR seems to have a wide tolerance band. It seems like very small geometric variations can easily perturb the sensors. Have you guys seen unclemat's dyno plots?

It's the reason why I don't think aggressive e-tunes are safe. The tuner has to use conservative fuel targets unless the person has a WBO2.

So nobody has a version of Enginuity that will work with my PLX WB?

I would love to have it for my normal logging.

RC: Yes I do think E-tunes are bad now, I didn't use to but my knowledge level has increased, at least a little bit. I think they are OK if the person getting tuned knows what he is doing, and what to check, but by the time the person getting tuned knows what is going on he may as well tune himself.

With AVO panel filter:

AFR Learning

A 15% capped. Actual may be higher than this.

B 7.2%

C 2.4%

D 5.8%

With the OEM panel filter

AFR Learning

A 7.9%

B 6.8%

C 0.8%

D 2.7%

My theory: (I don't know why this stuff keeps me awake at nights!)

There is a certain amount of vacuum in the space from the turbo to the air-filter. This vacuum decreases with a freer flowing air-filter.

Maybe the vacuum changes the way the MAF reads?

My theory: (I don't know why this stuff keeps me awake at nights!)

There is a certain amount of vacuum in the space from the turbo to the air-filter. This vacuum decreases with a freer flowing air-filter.

Maybe the vacuum changes the way the MAF reads?

I would also check on the filter oiling. Who knows if some of it managed to get onto the thin film sensor.

In terms of vacuum, I think the replacement spec for most filters is 10" WC. Which is roughly less than one inHg. Assuming a difference between no pressure drop and 1 inHg you would see ~ 3% change in air density. Un-compensated that would be ~ 0.5 AFR. However, I'd expect the MAF to be ok with a small change in operating pressure as it is a mass flow sensor.

I know what you do for a living please tell me your not at work when you post :eek:

I only post from work (almost).

I don't have time at home.

You mean you know where to find info on how a MAF reacts to pressure changes that are small?

descend to and maintain wun fower thousand, left turn heading two niner fife, I mean wun niner fife, oh crap just turn left!:lol:

I would also check on the filter oiling. Who knows if some of it managed to get onto the thin film sensor.

In terms of vacuum, I think the replacement spec for most filters is 10" WC. Which is roughly less than one inHg. Assuming a difference between no pressure drop and 1 inHg you would see ~ 3% change in air density. Un-compensated that would be ~ 0.5 AFR. However, I'd expect the MAF to be ok with a small change in operating pressure as it is a mass flow sensor.

Well, maybe I will get the local in question to change back from his K&N to the stocker. That should eliminate any oiling concerns. He has had the K&N in for about a year.

I can log with my innovate . You have 2 wires that come out of your wb box or display . one is narrow band and one is wb . I have the wb hooked up to my rear o2 sensor voltage input . You just need to find the voltage values for you plx wb

That makes sense, but will take a while.

I have the voltage values.

Did you tap in at the ECU, or at the rear O2?

I can log with my innovate . You have 2 wires that come out of your wb box or display . one is narrow band and one is wb . I have the wb hooked up to my rear o2 sensor voltage input . You just need to find the voltage values for you plx wb

Further details please, I have a Zeitronix which has the wideband output. Are you saying you just ran that to the ECU then logged the rear O2?

Archived