LegacyGT.com

new SS lines, pads, and OEM rotors done SEPARATELY, my review

iNVAR

I don't remember which thread it was in, but I remember someone inquiring about how much of an improvement SS lines make on pedal feel, and whether or not they were worth it. Someone responded saying that very few people did only the SS lines w/o doing rotors or pads at the same time... and that often times the new aftermarket performance pad was responsible for the improvement but people wrongly attributed it to the SS lines they replaced at the same time.

I tend to agree with that.

Yesterday, I replaced the stock pads with Hawk HPS, all around. The pads were pretty worn down all over, and weren't too far from the backing pad. I replaced ONLY the pads, and didn't even bother doing a fluid flush/bleed.

When I took the car out to break in the new pads, I noticed immediately (even before being fully broken in) that there was a huge improvement in pedal feel (pedal felt slightly higher, and definitely firmer) and pedal responsiveness (much better initial bite.) After I broke them in, they felt the same still. To break them in, I did about 8 or 9 hard stops from 60-10.

Today, I replaced the old stock rotors with new OEM rotors, again on all 4 corners. In addition to that, I replaced the stock rubber lines with Techna-fit stainless braided lines. A bleed (not a complete flush) was also done, using Valvoline DOT 3/4 brake fluid. I plan on doing a complete flush next week. I took the car out for a drive to break in the new rotors using the basic procedure as above.

The SS lines did not seem to make a huge difference in pedal feel. It felt a bit firmer, but not that much... and the pedal was about just as high as before.

My conclusion: good performance pads make the biggest difference. I didn't believe other people when they said that pads make the pedal feel different, but they most definitely do. Stainless lines don't make as huge of a difference as people would have you believe, so whether or not it's worth $130 is up to you... It isn't a night and day difference.

On my old car, when I replaced the lines with SS lines, it was an enormous improvement... but those lines were 15 years old and I'm pretty sure one of them was bulging, so it might have simply just been age/deterioration. I believe that if your lines are in good shape, you will not notice a huge improvement with SS lines.

Also, as an aside note...I bit off more than I could chew when I wanted to tackle this job. You really need the right tools and a lot of room to work with if you're doing the rotors and lines. I did the pads, and gave up with the rotors and lines after I tried to remove the caliper mounting brackets (unsuccessfully) and undo the nuts for the brake lines (again, unsuccessfully.) I ended up having my mechanic do the work. It's much easier since they had a lift. They also ended up torching the brake lines in order to break the nuts free.

Have you replaced your pads with good aftermarket performance ones? So far I really like the Hawk HPS pads. If I were you, I would suggest replacing the pads first and doing a bleed to see if that improves your pedal feel.

Also, another note to add to my original post. The lines I got were Techna-fit lines from http://www.thekingofparts.com going for $104 + S/H. The lines that I received did not appear to have a coat on them despite what I read on this forum about it having a plastic/vinyl sheathing.

I'm still on my stock pads but am approaching my 60k service so I thought I'd have them changed out while they're replacing the brake fluid. I may just hold off on the lines now. We'll see.

Thanks for the review though. Good info.

Cheers!

I was thinking about the SS lines too, but I guess our cars' brake lines arent old enough yet to feel the full effect. Thanks for the heads up!

You might wanna call KOP back about the coating on the lines, I thought theyre suppose to come coated?

You're not gonna notice SS lines that much unless you track the car, or drive it HARD.

It's when you are standing on the brake that you'll notice SS lines the most.

I also had a shop do the lines because the stock connections were siezed. I just diddn't want to deal with it.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Every post I've seen where someone claimed that SS lines "improved pedal feel" was from someone who replaced pads and lines at the same time.

Every post I've seen from someone who replaced just the lines, said that lines don't make much difference.

There are a lot of people posting on car forums who apparently slept through their science classes. We don't need no stinkin' empirical method, correlation is causation!

Kudos to the OP for conducting a proper experiment.

Old fluid or heavily used fluid to new fluid will make a huge difference in feel. Stainless steel lines will only really improve feel under the most taxing of conditions (track usage) in which case some people will swear by them. They also should last the life of the vehicle, which can be attractive.

Might be true, but my fluid wasn't that old when I replaced it. Taxing conditions on the track - I kinda don't see, simply hard braking when you try to modulate (instead of putting foot into the floor) should show difference of SS vs rubber lines.

As far as reliability - opinions are split. SS lines are prone to failures. I would not run ones without coating. SS line failures are catastrophic in nature, while rubber lines may fail gradualy - bubble before rupturing. A friend and a member of this board had his SS lines snap at a crimp in... my driveway :eek:

I replaced rotors, pads and ss lines at the same time. So while I can't say that the SS lines played any part in the difference I feel versus the original brake system with around 47k, I know I like it the way it is now. I did the SS lines mainly because I had them on the Supra and like the feel. If they did nothing then it's my bling/ricer mod that no one can see. ;)

been about a week now and i'm loving these brakes. they bite very quickly. admittedly, i'm having problems toe-heeling as well as i used to because the pedal reacts a lot quicker, so i have problems blipping the throttle now.

there is also a little bit of noise under mild-to-moderate braking, but it's very little and it doesn't happen all the time. a very high pitched quiet squeak (not even a squeal). i'm hoping it goes away as more pad material transfers onto the rotor surface.

i've done some high speed runs (80-100MPH) with hard braking and so far everything is holding up very nicely. no shudder/vibration anymore either (old rotors obviously had uneven deposits on them)

I replace my pads to Hawk HPS on all corners with goodridge ss lines and dot 4 break fluid with a full flush and it made a big differance on the track for autocrossing. The peddle feel is much more stiffer. I also love the HPS pads, the h+ pads are great but very noisy in town regular driving.

Many LGT owner's cars are new enough that they dont provide a huge benefit. Ive been telling this people for years, even though I sell them.

The "rubber" lines that the car came with arent just rubber. They are braided just like the SS lines are. Just not with SS outers. They have pretty low compliance.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Archived