LegacyGT.com

Help me pick lowering springs for my 98 GT wagon?

I've searched high and low and while I WISH WHITELINE WOULDN'T HAVE DISCONTINUED THEIR WAGON SPRINGS. >:(

but I did find these H&R springs and I was wondering if they would work well enough on my wagon.

Would I need saggy butt spacers?

Do sedan springs with spacers impair handling?

Please help, I need to order the parts soon.

Thanks!

It depends on what the spring rate is. Sedan rear spring rate is 132, and wagon spring rate is 190. My 96 LGT 4EAT sedan has around 1380 lbs over the rear, while my 98 LGT 5MT wagon had 1440 lbs over the rear. The fender gap was roughly the same.

This is why the rear sags when sedan suspensions are installed. If the spring rate is high enough, there will be nothing to worry about. So make sure that the rear spring rate is at least 190 lbs/in. Sedan springs with spacers will impair handling because that means the spring rate balance isn't even close to stock. Plus, that means the dampening part of the struts are lower in the assembly than before. That alters how the car drives as well, and it hard on the strut. Remember, your changing the entire dynamic balance of the car by installing springs meant for a sedan.

I have the H&Rs installed. As far as the spacer debate goes, here's what I found. The front and rear wheel wells are not gapped the same. The front wheel wells have more clearance. (at least an inch more) It does give the illusion that the rear is sagging if you are judging the stance by the wheel well gap only. However, if you look at the cars rocker panel and it's association to the ground, you will see that the two are parallel to one another. You may install them on your car if you like. I personally do not see the need for them.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

The ONLY suspension that truly requires spacers when installed, because the rear is actually sagging, is when an 02-07 WRX suspension is installed on a LGT wagon. The weight over the rear is too much for the springs, which are nowhere near close to stock wagon spring rates.

Archived