LegacyGT.com

Wild rear vibrations while braking

Hi guys,

Never posted here before, but I figured it was worth a shot. I picked up a 1998 Legacy about six months ago. A few months into owning it, I blew the 2.5L in it, and swapped it for a 2.2 out of a older style, boxy Impreza. So now I kinda wanna keep the thing. Anyways, to the point.. I recently rebuilt my rear calipers, because I was getting a bad vibration when braking at higher speeds. New seals, boot, pads, rotor... everything. Brakes are like brand new now. Well, the vibration didn't go away. Its not noticeable when stopping below 40mph, but on the freeway, its actually worse.

When I did the driver side caliper, I noticed the lateral link is all bent to hell :mad: .. could this be the cause of the vibrations when stopping? If im not mistaken a bent lateral link would throw off the wheels camber, thus making it uneven with the rest of the wheels. Regardless I know this needs to be replaced (probably just OEM stock, its a daily driver, not a racecar) but I'm curious if this could be the cause. It already looks like that rotor is not wearing in right, while the other side is completely fine.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Hello;

The camber is built-in and cannot be adjusted unless an aftermarket camber bolt is installed. What you are dealing with is toe-in/toe-out situation here. I was able to straighten out my lateral links with a copper hammer, be careful mine were hollow. Yours maybe bent too far and a replacement procured. Also check the wheel bearing on that side. The toe-in will have to be set to attain proper tracking. Steven.

Hello;

The camber is built-in and cannot be adjusted unless an aftermarket camber bolt is installed. What you are dealing with is toe-in/toe-out situation here. I was able to straighten out my lateral links with a copper hammer, be careful mine were hollow. Yours maybe bent too far and a replacement procured. Also check the wheel bearing on that side. The toe-in will have to be set to attain proper tracking. Steven.

Yeah this thing is pretty bent. Its wreaking havoc on the plastic link. Thats what scares me the most. I've never seen a wheel bearing go bad without a hum, grind, or steady vibration. Seemed nice and smooth when driving. I guess I'll order a new lateral. Argh.

These bushings are pressed in, right? I'd be better off finding a link that already comes with the bushings supplied, no?

Thanks again for your input!

Yes you should be able to find that pre loaded with a bushing, as your current ones being old may not be helping it.

Also to verify its a toe in and toe out issue, really bed the brakes and shake the car left and right. If your front end is tight, you'll be able to feel how the ass end is trailing.

Archived