LegacyGT.com

So I need a new turbo?

My turbo has begun to whine when I enter boost. Sadly, it looks like a new turbo is in my future. If you guys were in my situation what would you do? My legacy gt has 135,000 miles on it. My parents bought it with 134,000 miles on it for my sister and I because they wanted a car for us to drive that has AWD. I'm looking for a reliable set up that won't hurt the motor as there won't be any supporting mods done. (believe me if I could do supporting mods I would!) I'm looking to do this as inexpensively as possible (not to the point were I buy a chinese turbo). Oh and about long do I have before I need a new turbo?

Options

A. buy a new vf40 turbo

B. buy a used vf40 turbo

C. buy a new 16g turbo

D. look for a used 16g turbo

E. something else

Advantages

A. Car stays stock

B. Car stays stock and cheaper

C. A little more power and It won't run out of steam at the top end and cheaper than A

D. Same as C but cheaper

E. ?

Dissadvantages

A. Expensive, same vf40 problems

B. same vf40 problems, turbo is used

C. A little pricey, requires tune

D. Requires tune, hard to find?, turbo is used

E. ?

I'm not totally against having to get a tune because...

Much debate on this topic. The stock tune runs lean into the first few psi of boost and advances the timing on Cyl 4 (closest to knock sensor). The combo leads to knock.

Also, on the bnr website

The oil supply lines must be upgraded in order for BNR Supercars to warranty. The upgrade must consist of a high flow line with an inline 10 micron filter element.

&

Another common problem with the 2.5 engine is there are 2 solenoids called the oil control valves (OCV's) which are mounted on each valve cover. Those solenoids can and will malfunction. When this happens the oil pressure reduces drastically to the head causing starvation issues for the turbocharger. You should replace the OCV's at 75K miles as a maintenance procedure or if you have seen multiple turbo failures. The OCV's at the dealer are around $90 each

If I'm looking for a reliable car should I look into a high flow line and and replace the OCV's or will they be fine?

I also found this

We now have our own compressor and turbine housing castings which eliminates the core exchange program. Customers have 60 days from purchase date to recieve core refunds. After the 60 days we can not give core refunds.

So the 16g costs $750 does this mean if I buy a turbo from them and send them my old one they will give me a refund? If so about how much will the refund be?

It looks like you have your options well thought out. Some things to keep in mind, the high flow line and filter can be purchased from M.Sprank at infamous performance. However, if you are staying with the stock VF40 it flows too much and requires a restricter.

From what I understand BNR no longer participates in the core exchange program now that he has is own castings.

Depending on how much time you have and who can/will be doing the work on your car you can send the current turbo to 6starspeed and have it rebuilt with a warranty.

http://6starspeed.com/reihivftusul.html

Working on these cars is not very difficult if you have any kind of technical knowledge. Look for the vacation pics thread and you can find all the necessary inormation for the removal and replacement of the turbo.

I recommend talking with M.Sprank, he is very helpful and will give you a breakdown on what will and won't work and give you a great price on parts if you decide to buy.

It looks like you have your options well thought out. Some things to keep in mind, the high flow line and filter can be purchased from M.Sprank at infamous performance. However, if you are staying with the stock VF40 it flows too much and requires a restricter.

From what I understand BNR no longer participates in the core exchange program now that he has is own castings.

Depending on how much time you have and who can/will be doing the work on your car you can send the current turbo to 6starspeed and have it rebuilt with a warranty.

http://6starspeed.com/reihivftusul.html

Working on these cars is not very difficult if you have any kind of technical knowledge. Look for the vacation pics thread and you can find all the necessary inormation for the removal and replacement of the turbo.

I recommend talking with M.Sprank, he is very helpful and will give you a breakdown on what will and won't work and give you a great price on parts if you decide to buy.

I will be doing the turbo replacement myself (have a few friends help out too). The problem with having the turbo rebuilt is that I won't have a car to drive which currently doesn't work for me. I will for sure contact M.Sprank thank you!

When I did my turbo replace, the difference between a mild performance build and a stock replacement came out to about $800. I wanted a performance build though so I shelled out.

What is done to your car? Just the 16g and a tune? Do you like the 16g? Do you feel like It was worth it?

Aging pieces of the cat and EGT can come loose and destroy the turbo and motor.

This is something I am also worried about. Is it worth it to spend $147 on a invidia catless up pipe? Is there a cheaper option? I think I heard something about using a up pipe off of an sti?

I don't want to get a new turbo and have it destroyed by a old up pipe.

Sti uppipes will work just fine and can be had much cheaper. That said I have the invidia and have no complaints.

I hate to ask so many questions but do you know which years? Is a tune required for either?

How much longer will you be keeping the car?

I would recommend, since it seems like you're keeping the car, to get the BNR turbo because the oiling issues have been addressed unlike the IHI turbos. Also, the oil lines are pricey. About $175 from IP&T

How much longer will you be keeping the car?

I would recommend, since it seems like you're keeping the car, to get the BNR turbo because the oiling issues have been addressed unlike the IHI turbos. Also, the oil lines are pricey. About $175 from IP&T

I plan on keeping the car for a while. I'm hoping until 200,000 miles!

So your recommending me to buy the 16g but don't get the oil lines?

No you need the oil lines to maintain the turbos warranty. I was just warning you that they were expensive

So for the 16g I should get oil lines (planning on getting and invidia catless up pipe from another member here.) and what else?

Archived