LegacyGT.com

Removed PCV hose - runs better????

I removed the PCV hose to use as a place to take vacuum readings. I noticed that there was a slight (very slight) lessening of the shaky idle. Took the readings and thought....let us go for a ride. It may be in my mind but while sitting still with the AC on the engine isn't shaking as much as it has been. Plus it seems that take off and driving in general is better.

Could it be?

I need to have my wife drive it. Maybe I am imagining things. Crankcase pressure venting to the air and possible better running....what could that mean?

Forgot to add but the PCV was replaced a few weeks ago.

If the pcv valve is bad you can create enough pressure to get "blow by" although this really only happens on forced induction applications.

That can make a shakey idle, and If it was relieved with it removed , to me it indicates that its bad. The plunger that moves in and out should be able to wiggle and bounce freely as the littlest bit of vacuum is used to open it.

Soak it in carb cleaner or gasoline.

Or purchase a new one.

Personally I deleted my pcv and just ran it to a catch can to collect oil vapors.

Hope this works for ya.

Interesting, I am honestly stumped. It makes sense why, but the symptoms don't match for it to be the explanation. Try to run it with the hose off and then without the vac gauge? It should still idle and just put your finger over the hose a bunch and see if the idle changes...

I took the rake boost hose off to try there, it was first start of the morning so idle was high. The needle bounced between 20 and 20.5. That is not perfect but neither does it show anything like a valve problem.

I also tried a smoke test. I didn't have access to a cigar but did borrow a cigarette from a friend. I didn't see any smoke leaking.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMok2y05jNE]Finding Engine Vacuum Leaks With A Cigar - YouTube[/ame]

I quit smoking in the mid 1970's, placing a cigarette in my mouth was still, after all these years a temptation. After doing the test any temptation was gone....yuck is all I can say.

A few things to do yet and that is

1. check the timing marks and
  2. swap out injectors.

There is a guy on a list that has offered to sell me 4 good ones for $65 plus $8 shipping. They have new filters, O rings and flow tested (test sheet included).

Interesting, I am honestly stumped. It makes sense why, but the symptoms don't match for it to be the explanation. Try to run it with the hose off and then without the vac gauge? It should still idle and just put your finger over the hose a bunch and see if the idle changes...

What year/engine do you have? I've seen on the 2.5 dohc where the hose goes onto the valve covers being clogged from a sludge engine. Also there maybe another part that isn't working check and test your egr valve.

Archived