LegacyGT.com

good transmission swap for my 5mt?

i am in need of repairing my 5mt. my 2nd gear scynros are shot and a local shop quoted me 1800 to rebuild it. I'm hesitant on getting a junk yard trans of the same type because i know that was an issue with those trans. Is there a better transmission thats bolt on capable with out changing the drive shaft and rear end?? and keeping the cable clutch and speedo cable. thanks!!!:munch:

How many miles are on your tranny? Was it abused? A junkyard trans only costs $160 or so out here and there are plenty of good ones to be had. 2nd gear syncros going bad are common on wrx trans but probably a result of launching. A lower mileage junkyard trans could be a way cheaper alternative than rebuilding one. The 5mt is basically the same for first and second gens and as far as there being problems with them it's probably a result of poor driving skills. There are plenty of stock trans lasting the life of the car. If you get the trans rebuilt make sure the shop knows what the hell they are doing.

If you want to upgrade get a STI trans from ebay, lol.

155k I got it at 130k. I'm not sure of the past driver it was a trade in at my work. I did find a slip for a new clutch at 80k. soo I assume by that the person didn't know how to drive too well. yeah I guess the best idea is junkyard trans

it was probably mangled by the previous owner, my 93 has 211k and the tranny is good, only time synchros act up is when going from second to third if i'm trying to pick up speed really quick, im the third owner and the previous owners all used it just to commute. i say get the same trans!

Archived