LegacyGT.com

Honest, hard working tools for cheap

As an utter tool newbie, I thought a thread for those like me and on a budget would be helpful. We all understand the importance of reliable, long lasting tools, but sometimes expensive doesn't always mean good, and you can find value in unexpected places.

To that end, list here your experience with cheap but good tools, or tools that are great for the money, as well as maybe tools to steer clear of.

Most of my tools are Craftsman Tools. I also have cheap crap from harbor freight for certain stuff (1/2" breaker bar, axle nut socket) stuff that I don't need to use all the time really.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I'm in the market for a pancake compressor for light duty like tire inflation, painting fence etc. for around $100. Harbor Freight has them on sale but I think I'd rather go with a Porter Cable than Central Pneumatic, or are they about the same in terms of reliability?

If you are going to buy a compressor always make sure it has an oil lubricated pump and not the oilless ones.

They burn up over time, and are pretty much worthless because you cant buy parts for the oil free ones.

The best on the market are Emglo or Jenny (same company), Bostich, and Porter Cable assuming you buy the oil lubricated versions. I used to frame houses and I have the same Emglo AirMate my dad gave me 15 years ago, and it still works great.

In that case I think I'll gamble with a Central Pneumatic compressor.

In wondering what capacity I should get it if I end up using impact wrenches so that it doesn't start up all the time. You gave me research homework :)

• Moderators
In that case I think I'll gamble with a Central Pneumatic compressor.

In wondering what capacity I should get it if I end up using impact wrenches so that it doesn't start up all the time. You gave me research homework :)

I don't think you can get a pancake compressor that won't turn on all the time using impact tools.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The one I'm eyeing is a hotdog style.

10 gal, 2.5 HP, 125 psi, 5.3 cfm @ 90 psi. On sale for around $145. Some reviews say owners have had it for a while, daily use, works great. I could also get a carry can per a reviewer and double the capacity. If I end up getting it ill come back in a while with a review.

• Moderators
The one I'm eyeing is a hotdog style.

10 gal, 2.5 HP, 125 psi, 5.3 cfm @ 90 psi. On sale for around $145. Some reviews say owners have had it for a while, daily use, works great. I could also get a carry can per a reviewer and double the capacity. If I end up getting it ill come back in a while with a review.

Yeah, that's going to come on quite frequently. I believe mine is 20 or 25 gallons, and it comes on pretty regularly when using tools at 90psi.

Unless you are going big, forget about ever wanting the thing to not come on all the time when you are using tools--it's an inevitability. Focus on other attributes because that one is just a pipe dream with the size that you are looking at.

Hope that helps, not trying to be discouraging at all, just letting you know what to expect. If you find the cycling on/off to be annoying you can always build up a simple sound-deadening box to house the compressor--will be much less annoying if you can quiet it down a bit.

I'm not worried about noise, just longevity I guess. I'll see how it does and I might just expand its capacity as much as it goes up to. Kept reading some reviews on the site and a couple people got it up to 29 gallons.

I appreciate your feedback.

You should be okay assuming you get an oil lubricated pump. Thats the issue with the oil free pumps, if you use it a lot, the pump will be running frequently, and will inevitably burn out.

The only tools I have ever liked from HF are these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-pick-and-hook-set-93958.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-heavy-duty-pry-bar-set-69281.html

I don't buy very much from them, but things that are going to get abused to failure sometimes it's just better to buy cheap. I only have the larger size pry bar, but have considered getting the set.

I had a set of plastic trim removers, but someone else broke the best of the three. It was pretty decent until then. I have a metal version, so probably won't replace those.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• 1 month later...

Northern Tool has a couple cheap tool deals right now.

Crows foot set 10-19mm http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200304155_200304155

Full Polish Stubby 10-19mm http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200304141_200304141

$5 off $15 code: 166276 through 9/28

I'm going to replace the taskforce set of stubbies I have already. Not expecting much but the finish on the taskforce set is annoying. I needed a stubby and they were the only metric ones I could get local at the time. Figured I'd get the crowsfoot set at the same time. Neither set will get much use so quality is OK. Both sets were ~$22 shipped for me with the coupon code.

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing about compressors. How often do you have to change the oil? Does length and width of air hoses matter? What about impact wrenches and ratchets? Is 1/2" the way to go? I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/25-horsepower-21-gal-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html

At $180 it's pretty much a throw away should it fail.

• Moderators

Ruski, are you trying to get yourself setup with impact tools? Of that's the case and you don't already own a compressor, have you thought about picking up an electric impact? I have the ingersoll rand one and it's seriously awesome. Compressor is still nice for some things, but I never use my air impact anymore.

You're welcome to try mine out sometime.

For compressors VOLUME of air at a given Pressure is the most important spec. CFM @ xxPSI. Pick what tools your going to plan on using and check the specs to make sure you get a unit that can push enough air. Basically you need a full size compressor for your shop and a pancake for moving around.

Ruski, are you trying to get yourself setup with impact tools? Of that's the case and you don't already own a compressor, have you thought about picking up an electric impact? I have the ingersoll rand one and it's seriously awesome. Compressor is still nice for some things, but I never use my air impact anymore.

You're welcome to try mine out sometime.

Yes. Maybe an electric impact is all I need to wrench at home. I'm tired of wishing I had one for all the silly things I do to cars.

• Moderators
Yes. Maybe an electric impact is all I need to wrench at home. I'm tired of wishing I had one for all the silly things I do to cars.

It's all you need, man. No hoses, no compressor to deal with, etc. my electric is more powerful than any of my air tools. Granted I dot have great air tools or a great compressor, but I also don't feel the need to throw a buch of money at a good compressor that will also take up even more space in my garage.

If you go electric though, I wouldn't recommend cheaping out--buy whatever the best thing is on the market and call it a day (I don't know I anything new has come out, but the IR 20volt is working just fine for me).

When I started out I had mostly craftsman but have slowly built up more matco/snap on stuff. Starting out I would use craftsman sockets but get a matco or snap on ratchet. I've blown up so many craftsman ratchets its not even funny. I just got them replaced and they sit in my old box at my parents.

It's all you need, man. No hoses, no compressor to deal with, etc. my electric is more powerful than any of my air tools. Granted I dot have great air tools or a great compressor, but I also don't feel the need to throw a buch of money at a good compressor that will also take up even more space in my garage.

If you go electric though, I wouldn't recommend cheaping out--buy whatever the best thing is on the market and call it a day (I don't know I anything new has come out, but the IR 20volt is working just fine for me).

Picking up a couple of used snap on cordless impacts from a mechanic friend. He wants to upgrade his to the new ones that just came out and is going to sell me his for a decent deal.

Archived