LegacyGT.com

Painting my RBS Replica OEM front lip spoiler

SCRAPPYDO

I am getting my spoiler today in the mail as the UPS notification has it out for delivery. Pending the gorillas at UPS not destroying it like my last lip, how do you guys recommend painting it. Duplicolor? Any other brands. colors?

I have a black legacy. I was going to get it painted at a professional shop, but do not think its worth it.

Should it be primed? Is the stock hardware/tape strong enough. Just looking for the best results, as I have been waiting for a while to do this mod.

Thanks!

SCRAPPYDO

It depends on what kind of look you want. If you want to match the body color (metalic paint w/clearcoat) then you might want to have a shop do it.

I wanted something that sort of went with the flat black insert in the rear valance.

Considering the condition of the package that UPS dumped off at the front door (see below), it needed suprisingly little prep. I used some 220 grit sandpaper on the couple of imperfections, then some 400 followed by 600 grit.

I don't know if it's necessary but I used this Adhesion Promoter, followed by multiple light coats of this Trim Paint. I don't remember the exact price, but I think each can was ~$6.

Some (not great, sorry) pictures are here.

lipship002.jpg.f97df7dd6d10d8e3ea4d6db104143c88.jpg

I wanted to be able to easily remove my spoiler (they make bad snowplows in winter), so I used small bolts (and large washers) instead of the tape. There is plenty of room for them all along the middle section of the spoiler. Also, by supporting this section with bolts, you stabilize the spoiler and reduce the chance of breakage if you tap a curbing with the leading edge.

i would definitely reccomend using some flex agent on fiberglass. my WRX grill lasted about a year until it was pitted and spotted to death.

i had it repainted with flex agent the second time, and a year later, it still looked new.

dR

I used a spray can of plasticote black trim paint from a auto parts store. I sanded with 400 grit and wiped it down w/ acetone. The paint came out great and looks almost like carbon fiber. I already bottomed out once crossing a intersection into my parking lot at work. You will likely do this too so just use something you can fix up easy yourself.

Jim

Archived