LegacyGT.com

Help! - ECU / Fuel Problem??

I was driving ~ 30 mph on slight downhill when my check engine light went on. I was low on fuel but the fuel light didn't turn on. The on-board computer estimated my remaining range at 60 miles.

10-15 secs later the engine shut off.

I pulled over to the shoulder, stopped and tried to start the engine again. It turned over but wouldn't start.

I towed to my mechanic friend's shop. He said the error code was a fuel pump problem. However, he checked the fuel pump and said it was working fine.

He thinks it could be an ECU problem but he doesn't have a spare test ECU to swap out and test. He called Glendale Subaru (Los Angeles County) and there are only apparently 4 in the country, all on the East Coast.

The ECU is around $180 but he's not confident it's the ECU so I could be spending 200 bucks when it may be a different problem.

A possible next step is to tow to the dealer since they should have a test ECU but I'd obviously rather not do this unless it's the only solution since the moment I tow it there I forsee a $500 invoice coming not matter what I do...:spin:

Thoughts/ ideas/ recommendations?

I had similar issues with mine. I "thought" it was the ECU. I purchased a used ECU and made my appointment at the dealer (ECU's are NOT plug and play). After the ECU replacement and pairing with the system, it turns out it was the BIU (body integrated unit). This controls ALL of the functions of the car except the engine, hence ECU.

Good luck.

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Thanks. So it sounds all ECU work needs to be done at the dealer?

Is there anyway to assess the problem before committing to go there?

I know I'm screwed once I'm there so I want to make sure it's the last option.

Someone told me the ECU is tied to a car's VIN and only dealers can do this??

what error code(s) do you have?

wonder if the fuel pump is actually getting voltage and running? (it should prime for a couple of seconds when the key is turned from off to on)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 3 weeks later...
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

This. Do not start pissing about swapping the ECU on the advice on your friend. It is not a trivial matter.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived