LegacyGT.com

Another Resonator question (Just Hear Me Out!)

Kookookachew

Ok, so I know there are resonator threads everywhere on here and elsewhere, but to be fair, from what I've been able to find and read, everyone is discussing drone issues and trying to eliminate that...

I however, dont give a crap about drone, I just want to avoid that raspy, popping noise that many aftermarket exhausts create.

I'm really thinking about jumping on a GMS (Gimmick Motor Sports) cat-back and some sort of cat-less DP to go along with my Catless UP and Cobb AP. I cant help but get drawn in by the pricing of the GMS exhaust, and most people seem happy with it. However, from the videos I've seen, it does create that raspy noise I'm trying to avoid.

Enter the CXLighting eBay exhaust... I've seen videos on that and it seems to be exactly what I want, but I cant find it for sale anymore, and those from what I've read came with a resonator. So, what I would like to find out is what the closest match to that resonator would be so I can order it and before I install the cat-back have it welded into the mid-pipe.

Heres a video of what I'm talking about btw, not mine, but I wish it was...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv31pfLVJZU]08 Legacy spec.B x02 (cxlighting) exhaust sound (2) - YouTube[/ame]

Any help would be really really appreciated, and if I missed the exact thread I should have read, just let me know, call me an idiot and we will all be on our way :)

I did see a few examples of that, but mostly on wagons to eliminate drone. I'd consider it, but I'm afraid it will muffle the exhaust too much. I do still want a fairly aggressive tone, but smoother without all of that popping.

Custom CBE ftw!

Haha, that would be awesome if I could fabricate something, or if any of the exhaust shops within a few hours of me could even custom-fab a performance 304SS exhaust system, and the ones that are within driving distance would charge more than the cost of buying a turbo-back...

Why not go with something a little nicer then?

Borla CBE has a lot of positive feedback.

Sure it's more money, but I definitely feel like it is better to spend a little extra on something that you plan on keeping for a long time.

I'm not going with something like a Borla becuase I can get the same exact sound for literally half the price, and still made of decent quality 304SS. To me this set-up would sound just as good, and I can justify spending $600-$700 for an entire turbo back just to sound nice and make "Stage 2" possible, but I cant justify $1100+ So I would never buy it if it cost that much. The Borla, I'm sure, would sound exactly like the GMS exhaust without its resonator as well. Its seems that its just the nature of the exhaust design on these cars.

I'm just trying to find someone who has found a make or length of resonator that will do what I want. There are lots of options out there, but I know other people have experimented in this area/own catbacks with resonators in them so I'm just trying to find out what will work. I'd hate to buy a resonator, have it welded in, and then install it, only to found out that its too quiet or still to loud and raspy.

CXlighting is a copy of XO2. GMS is a copy of the same thing. The sound is in the mufflers. You are buying cheap Chinese parts, you get what you pay for. Want a deep/aggressive sound that purrs? Pay more.

what is that at 33 seconds in that vid ?

no offense to the owner of that vid but it it a horible representation of that exhaust , windy , snowing , in a wide alley between 2 long buildings , yadayada

cnt quad tip can be had new , cheap . never heard one but almost bought it

gms is loud a f*ck

spt is stealthy quiet , i like

magnaflow was not for me but did sound cool

thats all i got

other than i have a megan quad tip that is relatively mellow

From my research and I'm in the same boat as you, you can go find a glass pack resonator and it avoids rasp. But still gives sound. Replace the stock resonator with that.

On my phone, deal with it.

stock res sucks up all that great subie sound at wot, and just sounds like a bunch of air moving. i has no res now. need to go to a shop and get my axleback welded up

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

stock res, no mufflers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYcFPOztyc]Mufflerless - YouTube[/ame]

stock res, no mufflers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-HuAySFSus]no mufflers - YouTube[/ame]

no res, no mufflers

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aaJlmQUB9U[/ame]

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived