LegacyGT.com

which trans lines go in/out?

ugh, let's see if I can remember. At the bottom of the hoses in front is a metal piping assembly. Follow that back to the two rear hoses leading into the trans. Looking at the back side of the metal piping from your driver's side, I believe the top/right hose is FROM the trans, which leads to the top of the radiator.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and I may have confused my front lines when I hooked mine up. It's a bit messy but if you remove the lines and have a friend start the car you'll know right away which is which.

Are you also installing a cooler? I would put in a bypass if I could do it again, as under normal highway driving it runs just a bit cool and takes a while to heat up to begin with. When delivering mail it runs at normal temp, or just a bit above. I'd hate to think about what it was before the cooler. I have it installed after the radiator cooler for max. cooling. It might be fine w/o a bypass if you install it before the radiator.

Are you also installing a cooler? I would put in a bypass if I could do it again, as under normal highway driving it runs just a bit cool and takes a while to heat up to begin with. When delivering mail it runs at normal temp, or just a bit above. I'd hate to think about what it was before the cooler. I have it installed after the radiator cooler for max. cooling. It might be fine w/o a bypass if you install it before the radiator.

i run a cooler temp gauge too, and its an old tranny.

i was going to just throw in a tranny cooler and call it a day, but here in co itll get way too cold ill deff have to do a bypass.

so i said FKIT and im just gonna monitor the engine temp while i goto AZ and sit in traffic.

if it doesnt blow doing this trip....

she'll be fine for awhile

gettin some coffee and about to dive into it again :spin:

Remember almost every fluid thermostat or bypass, will always allow fluid through it even when the fluid is stone cold. You actually could cause damage to the part your cooling, engine oil or trans oil, if it's blocked completely you create backpressure. On the only automatic Supra I owned I installed a larger cooler for the trans fluid with out a t-stat and never had any issues. They don't have one on the factory set up but the coolant helps get the trans fluid up to temp quicker. If I were to do one on a auto trans now I would run it through the radiator first then the cooler then back into the trans. Transmission fluid like oil works better when it's at the normal operating temps.

Archived