LegacyGT.com

Rough Idle, Odd Voltage after Spark Plug change

I need some help - I can't figure out what's going on.

I was getting a misfire code, and yesterday changed out my plugs.

My battery was heavily corroded on both terminals. I cleaned it off with a brush and water/baking soda mixture. I put some anti-corrosive gel on the terminals and reconnected the battery. I had a hard time getting it started, it was evident the battery was low, or not connected properly. I double, triple, quadruple checked it and even took off some of the gel thinking maybe it wasn't conductive as you would think it should be. I finally got a good connection and was able to start the car. I didn't do a test drive, which in hindsight may have been stupid.

This morning, I go out to start it, and it won't start. Obvious low battery signs.

I was running late so I had to take the other vehicle.

I get home, pop the clutch to start it (cables wouldn't reach). Rough Idle, rough through all the RPM's. Definitely feels off. I'm hoping I didn't NOT get a spark plug all the way in or something... Another point though, NO CODES, but it almost dies at idle.

Here's the odd part - when I read the voltage at the battery (car off), it's reading something crazy over 13. Pretty much the same as when the car was running (mid-13's). Can a bad battery cause this? I don't understand how a battery could be OVERcharged...?

Is this battery just trash? Can a battery cause all these issues? Did I mess up the plug install (please God no, I don't want to go through that again)? I had no troubles before yesterday when I took everything apart, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

A battery going bad will cause all kinds of weird crap. Running the voltage should be around 14.3 volts. With engine off should be around 12.5. I had some issues with mine with a rough idle etc. I am in the process now of replacing my ECU.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

You reset the ecu when you disconnected the battery. It will run a little "rough" (stuttering wonky idle) as it relearns your fuel trims take about 1/2 hr of driving.

Plus it sounds like you need a new battery, might just look over the coil packs they are fragile and can be damaged during plug change. Hope you used the correct ngk plugs.

Plus it sounds like you need a new battery, might just look over the coil packs they are fragile and can be damaged during plug change. Hope you used the correct ngk plugs.

Planning on swapping batteries in the morning to see how that works.

Used correct plugs, purchased from dealer.

Ended up getting a new battery this morning, that wasn't the problem. Exact same behavior. Turns out there was so much corrosion that I don't think there was good contact on the terminals (even after cleaning).

I more thoroughly cleaned everything and all is good now it seems. Ended up keeping the battery because the old was was 4 years old and dirty.

After I clean my terminals with a wire brush or battery post cleaner, I install the cables dry. Tighten them and then put a good coating of grease over, around and under the terminals to seal out moisture.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived