LegacyGT.com

5eat tranny blown @ 50k.

veritas

2008 stock LGT except a Borla CBE. Just turned 50k with all scheduled maintenance done at Subaru.

The car has NOT been beat on at all. Started hearing a rattling noise about a week ago. Didn't think anything of it and was gonna bring it in next week. Accelerating on the expwy and all OD sudden, Rpms spiked and wasn't moving. No big thud or noise. Got pulled over and towed to my service place. Just got the news today, blown tranny...new one ordered as I'm under extended warranty to 80k. I didn't ask to many questions yet since I just wanna get the car back with a bill that has zero balance due lol. Hopefully I'll have it back sometime next week, but I have to assume this is odd.

Also, besides the rattle no tranny problems at all. No shifting problems of any kind.

I'm just kind of miffed that my tranny blew at 50k on a bone stock LGT. I searched and most of the blown transmissions are after some modding.

Am i alone?

Vin C

NYC

The 5EAT on my 08 LGTwas replaced under warranty at 60k miles. Only mod was Stage 1 with Cobb AP. I was pretty surprised as well. I was getting low line pressures and something was wrong with the torque converter.

Compared to my previous 5EAT, which would stall at stop signs and not shift out of 1st, the replacement is better. I get a slight shift shock going from 2nd to 3rd at low speeds. From the different posts I read on this forums, the shift shock seems to be a "standard feature" for the 5EAT.

Ok...just got a call from the dealership. My new tranny arrived and they went to put it in and when they did they found out that my axle broke? He said it broke inside the tranny and thats what was making the noise. So they replaced it and the car is done, I have to go pick it up today. he said the tranny is fine. When they diagnosed it when i brought it in, he said the tech put scope on it so he could listen and heard the noise inside the and assumed it was the tranny. Once he pulled it down today, he saw the broken axle.

Does that sound right? Thats the word he used, "axle" broken inside the tranny.

I guess I'll find out when i pick the car up later today...

^^^^Your right. The noise I heard is still there, not sure what it was but it had nothing to do with the tranny. According to the paper work, it was the right front axle. Is that meaning right front drive shaft?

Car seems ok right now.

Do these things go at 50k or is that as uncommon as a blown tranny?

^ petty uncomon.

how was the axle broken? any pics? i have had one of mine come out to the point where it wasn't engaged. but i popped it back in and it was fine.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

No pics...I wish. Work was done at Subaru's dealership, so I doubt I would have gotten pics if I even asked lol.

This is exactly what was written on my work order...word for word:

Custome states engine revs but car wont move. CK & Rec. DTC P1706 at speed sensor curcuit malfunction/noise from center of trans and car rolls in park. Right front axle broke in transmission and causing the car to roll in park. Tech found axle spinning freely internally. Tech replaced right axle. No more noise. car holds in park and trans shifts as designed. B621-NAN-21.

P# 28321AG00D - DRV SFT ASSY

I was covered. They even waived my deductable which was nice. Just a little disconcerting that it happened since my wife mainly drives this car.

Thanks for the replies bro. I appreciate it.

yea but that why warranty exist in case of manufacturers defects.. and they usualy come out well before the warranty period.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived