LegacyGT.com

How do you remove the injectors

Went to the bones yard today to get some injectors to test on my P304 situation. Took the caps off but couldn't get the darn things to come out. Ended up messing them up trying to pull them out. What was I missing?

How do you get the things out?

I guessed at that and tried it but they didn't budge. I sprayed some penetrate and still nothing. Sitting in the hot sun of the bones yard maybe they were just stuck.

twist them 90° before you pull

So you have only one cylinder misfire correct? The #4 cylinder, so why don't you just swap the #2 injector into the #4 spot and clear the codes and drive till the CEL comes back on. If it changes to a #2 cylinder misfire its the injector. Easy-Peezy-Japanesey.

I want to swap them but I don't want to destroy them when trying to remove. the bones yard attempt was kind of a learning attempt, if I got one out so be it but mainly it was a trial exercise in removing them. It didn't work out well but with a heat index of 101 degrees I didn't give the penetrant a long time to do its work.

Because it is so intermittent the darn misfire code is driving me crazy.

So you have only one cylinder misfire correct? The #4 cylinder, so why don't you just swap the #2 injector into the #4 spot and clear the codes and drive till the CEL comes back on. If it changes to a #2 cylinder misfire its the injector. Easy-Peezy-Japanesey.

How many miles on the engine? I had a intermittent missfire on #4 and then blew up the piston, I had 158k on the motor. I think my issue came from bad exhaust valves causing a lean condition on that cylinder. When the heads were rebuilt one valve had to be ground down a lot to clean it up, so they just replaced all 8 exhaust valves in the motor. I had swapped injectors coils and plugs and still had the same missfire.

My suggestion is do a compression/leak down test on the engine to see if you notice anything funny.

The engine is a transplant and the bones yard that sold the transplant engine said it was a 50,000 mile engine.

How many miles on the engine? I had a intermittent missfire on #4 and then blew up the piston, I had 158k on the motor. I think my issue came from bad exhaust valves causing a lean condition on that cylinder. When the heads were rebuilt one valve had to be ground down a lot to clean it up, so they just replaced all 8 exhaust valves in the motor. I had swapped injectors coils and plugs and still had the same missfire.

My suggestion is do a compression/leak down test on the engine to see if you notice anything funny.

Archived