LegacyGT.com

Wideband without tune?

chimera

Can a wbo2 be added without a tune? I'm guessing its dependant on the make? Eg: so long as it can be calibrated to supply an appropriate voltage (generally 0-1V from what i've read) equivalent to what the narrowband provides?

Ummmm... ok let me rephrase sorry - i meant some sort of ECU reconfiguration not tune, as an O2 sensor effectively provides voltage to the ECU indicating if the car is running too lean or too rich... so the ECU can adjust as required (AFR adjusted whilst in closed loop???). As narrowband provides between 0-1V (from what I understand) vs a wideband which provides a significantly larger range of voltage as feedback then the ECU may not understand what reading its getting. I was thinking of the tuning process post wbo2 install to take advantage of it being (permanantely, not handheld) installed. I'm not entirely sure how it interacts with the ECU

A wideband O2 sensor can be installed with the stock O2 sensors in place, and can run completely independent of the ECU. It's basically just another gauge. If you're thinking about replacing the front sensor with an WBO2 sensor; I don't think the stock ECU can correctly read aftermarket WBO2 outputs(the OE unit, "Air Fuel sensor", isn't like a typical narrowband O2 sensor and is scaled on the current output instead of voltage).

Assuming the WBO2 has an external output(USB/serial), a tuner will just log the output in conjunction with the ECU(ie: RomRaider Logger supports some WBO2 sensors). It's mainly tuners/dyno shops that use handheld units...if the tuner has their own WBO2 sensor or you're not tuning your self, there's absolutely no advantage to purchasing a WBO2 sensor.

Archived