LegacyGT.com

New Clutch Kits Question

Funkyman831

My throw-out bearing is getting worse everyday (on the brink of failure probably), and I will be buying a new clutch kit this week. I probably don't need a new clutch disk, but I figure if I am spending that much time taking it apart, I might as well change it out for a better one. A Subaru friend recommended THIS KIT[1] . While a 2005 Legacy Gt is not listed on that kit specifically, it is one of the cheapest kits I have found. If you look up Legacy Gt clutchs and flywheels, it goes over $500 like This Kit Here[2] . Why this is, I don't know. The only difference I have seen is that the Clutch listed is 228 mm versus 230 in the more expensive one. Am I going to be able to use the cheaper one, or am I SOL? He mentioned something about buying the WRX bolts for the flywheel as they are a little different.

i am not going to be making clutch recommendations or such, but i personally wouldn't buy that clutch kit. any how.......

the first link will not work at all with the legacy gt.

the 2nd link will work because it is lgt specific for the daul mass flywheel.

if you want a wrx clutch you will need to buy the 2006-2007 WRX SMFW and if i remember correctly all the 2006+ WRX (only not lgt) clutches (5 speed) will work.

i am currently running a wrx SMFW with a wrx clutch

Thanks for the reply. Did you have to do anything special switching it over to the WRX flywheel/clutch combo like different bolts? Would you possibly have a link to the combo you are talking about? It looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet on the more expensive parts.

What are your HP goals ?

If you plan to stay stock and just get a tune, because the factory MAP is not that good, then the second one should work.

You may need to stop by the dealer and pick up the 8 FW mounting bolts for a SMFW.

As far as I know you'll be the first to buy this kit on here.

Keep us updated as to how it works over time.

We also recommend the TSK3 TOB kit too.

FWIW, my PC began to run much slower after clicking on your links.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't know if I really have a goal in mind, but I am looking at have a complete turbo-back exhaust system, up-pipe, and a stage 2 tune. I already have the short ram intake. I am currently talking to vendors so I might be able to get a good deal, hopefully. All I know is, I need the 06+WRX SMFW (not lightweight), and more than likely, a stage 2 clutch to be safe for the future.

I would suggest at least a stage 2 type clutch.

I'm one of the few that seem to have good luck with Spec Clutches. I love the Spec 2 clutch in my wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

WRX single mass flywheel would require you to get WRX flywheel bolts and then an appropriate clutch to your liking. Many people here use CM FX300/350, i used a Exedy Stage 1 at the recommendation of my tuner and it was a similar to a stock feel.

Archived