LegacyGT.com

Rear Thumping noise

Even after having the work done the noise is still there. I'm going to get with the service manager and have him take a look some time within the next week. I'm also going to take out the seat, seat back, trunk lining, spare tire and anything else I can think of to eliminate the possibility. My Legacy is all stock with regular services however it hasn't made this noise it's until about 6 months ago. Something changed and I'm not sure what it is.

Mine is still there as well. They've done the recommended thing 3 times now and it's gotten quieter but won't go away. Now I don't know what to do. I'm 2k away from warranty on it expiring and I dunno now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
So, on the 24th of March I took mine back into the dealership for them to revisit the issue. From what I was told, the technician simply performed the procedure a second time using MUCH more force when hammering the indentations. Since that visit I haven't heard the sound once. The service manager I was working with is Kenny of Mark Miller Subaru Midtown in Utah (kennyl@markmiller.com). ncfree, you may want to ask the dealership you have taken it to to contact Kenny and find exactly what they did to resolve it.

Finally got it taken care of actually. I had to go back four times though but they finally did. The head service manager at midtown got it. And also the creaking in my roof went away. It was the bracket of the sunroof that was loose and replaced along with the cables that fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the above TSB seems to have taken care of the issue. Over the last 20k miles or so I have gone to great lengths to try and track this one down on my own... and after reading the tsb it is obvious that I never would have. I even had the dealer try and diagnose it, but they "Could not reproduce". It was not until I gave them the tsb# that they were finally able to confirm and fix the issue. Thanks to this forum and thread, the noise is finally gone.

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

I had this repair done about 9 months ago, and it worked for about 6 months... After this last winter the sound started coming back, although not as bad (and therefore harder to convince them to fix). The dealer I took it to outsourced the work to a local auto-body shop both times, and the second time I took it back the body shop drilled out about half of the divots 2 layers deep, and tack welded the three layers of steel together in the offending location. They claim "this is how it should be fixed in the first place".

This appears to have fixed it "once and for all". We shall see, but I am optimistic... it can't possibly move now!

I bet the Subaru recommended procedure is designed to resolve the issue in dealership shops that don't have welders or people who know how to use them.

• 2 years later...

Archived