LegacyGT.com

E brake detonation

Was driving down the road as usual when all over a sudden i heard a loud clank coming from under the car and the back left wheel is off the ground. Heard some squeaking relevant with the wheels turning (like rotor on dust shield squeak). That shortly disappeared.

In my driveway i noticed my e brake was not working well. So under the car with a flashlight there was no visible damage. I finally ended up taking that left rear tutor off and found this..

uploadfromtaptalk1369283922327.thumb.jpg.ad7865c8d832fb074d58c41709aa0420.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1369283935215.jpg.c1f5cdb454734828b698f095777e5e23.jpg

Just parts everywhere. I'm guessing some loose parts jammed up the wheel and made it lock up and skip momentarily.

Soo better route should be a hydraulic e brake no?

Better route but not feasible without major $$$$'s.

Just find out what broke, replace the parts needed and move on.

Sorry this happened, but I think your the first ?

Has anything been done to the brakes lately ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My Ebrake has felt like relatively crap since 2010. And sometimes when i engage it, it comes all the way to the top and other times it gets tight after a few clicks. What originally broke i believe is the upper mount that the two drum pads pivot off of that is riveted to the assembly.

To fix it might be tougher than just installing a master cylinder e brake assembly to my handle and plumbing it into the rear calipers. That or getting two used ebrake calipers and fabricating them in place on my car.

If i could find a way to have the e brake handle actuate the original master cylinder for all four brakes now that would be cool.

Before you do anything. Check your local laws. Some State require separate braking system for the "E" brake & Main braking systems.

Mike

" Parking Break Independence

The inspector will examine the means by which the parking brake works. If the parking brake is not activated mechanically or if it is activated by the same means as the service brake, the vehicle will fail."

But this is bs because mustangs among other cars have the ebrake as a secondary hydraulic line tapped into the rear calipers...

• 4 months later...

Archived