LegacyGT.com

EJ 22T no start, help needed.

You could try it. I've reade of a bad coolant temp sensor causing no start or engine shut off or a bad idle. There are two coolant temp sensors on the crossover pipe located under the intake mani. One sends a signal to the ecu and the other connects to the temp gauge on the dash. Here is a good pic of the crossover pipe: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4201807&postcount=706 the sensor that connects to the ecu is the rightmost in the pic, not the spade connector next to it.

The above pic is for a 22T. The 22E sensors are in a slightly different location.

Well after weeks of frustration, I took the car down the road to a mechanic, just now called me back and said the timing belt had broke. Gahhh, sooo now, mechanic quoted me at 4 hours of labor plus 620 for parts. Parts being "hydraulic tensioner, timing belt, tensionser pulley, idler pulley, hydraulic dampener, water pump, gasket, and cam seals. Is 600 a little steep for parts? I see a lot of kits on ebay, but im not sure if I trust their quality. Also, all the kits are listed for the ej22, I assume the ej22t uses the same kit? Thanks everyone for your help.

eBay kits are ok. I've used them with success. A Gates kit is a great way to go, that's what I used for my 22T, but a bit more expensive. $620 for parts is steep. I think what your mechanic called the hydraulic dampener is actually the hydraulic tensioner which is about $100-120 alone. It can be reused if compressed properly but it doesn't hurt to get a new one. That being said, the old style hydraulic tensioner that is most likely on your vehicle may be reusable and it is your call.

Around here you can get the complete timing job done for around $700 or so parts included. Do it yourself and save some more money if you are feeling bucky. I can send you the FSM.

A proper timing job includes the timing belt, water pump (water pump for 22t is not interchangeable with the 22e pump. The 22t pump has two small coolant lines, one is for the turbo), all idlers and pulleys, tensioner, cam seals, crank seal, cam seals, camshaft support o rings (the 22t has two small rings on the passenger side. Replace all of them, they leak!), reseal the oil pump, and replace the oil pump o ring. The best reason to do all of this stuff is the timing belt needs to be off to replace all of these things. If you don't they will fail later and you may be out more cash in the long run.

Archived