LegacyGT.com

P304 - freeze frame meanings????

On Monday when I went for gas I put in some Lucas cleaner in the tank. After that I've driven 150 miles in the past 3 days, with multiple stop and starts and no P304. That is, until today.

I see a pattern in this and it is never while driving at highway speeds, it is always while starting off from a stop and usually creeping to a start.

I started keeping a journal of what the IM Freeze Frame reader shows -

Monday morning it threw a code -

IM Freeze Frame reading -

Load 8.2

ETC(F) 187

SHRTFT1 3.1

LONGFT1 9.4

MAP (in HG) 15.7

RPM 1150

VSS (MPH) 1

Today -

Load 6.3

ETC(F) 183

SHRTFT1 3.1

LONGFT1 0

MAP (in HG) 15.9

RPM 713

VSS (MPH) 1

Anyone know what the readings mean in the scheme of P304?

Hm, I just thought of something. Today when the code went off the gas tank was below 1/4; on Monday when the code went off the tank was below 1/4, when it went off for my wife she was getting gas and before that the code went off for me the tank was low.

I'm starting to wonder how much crap is laying the gas tank, in the car that sat for 4 years.

Mondays freeze frame data says the engine was running a bit lean with Long fuel trim numbers being almost 10%. That says the pcm was trying to add fuel to compensate.

your other freeze frame, if Longft says 0(which i doubt), doesnt say anything.....

slight possibility with your description it could be an injector issue....

Maybe I should swap the injectors.

I have tried to pull the injector connectors off but they won't budge. I am assuming that the release lock is on the bottom. My daily driver have the Bosch type that you release a spring, not sure how they work on the 97 Subaru.

Mondays freeze frame data says the engine was running a bit lean with Long fuel trim numbers being almost 10%. That says the pcm was trying to add fuel to compensate.

your other freeze frame, if Longft says 0(which i doubt), doesnt say anything.....

slight possibility with your description it could be an injector issue....

These injectors look easy to swap, no need to remove any fuel rails.

I read stuff like the paragraph below and find it to be very weird.

"My car threw 3 & 4 misfire codes for about 6 months before I finally did something about it. For me it was the knock sensor, replaced that about 2 months ago and haven't had a CEL since!

good luck. 97 Legacy GT"

If OBDII is working correctly, it should throw a knock sensor code but I've read many posts that someone changed a part that wasn't throwing a code like the knock sensor, the O2 sensor, etc. and it fixed their misfire.

i would swap the left bank with the right bank and document exactly where you put each one... i do that all the time with ignition parts, that way when the miss follows... you know what part is bad,

Archived