LegacyGT.com

Frustrations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well last week while sitting at a stop light I thought someone stuck a smoke machine under my hood. NOPE!!!! It was just from the large amount of oil dumping onto my exhaust. I knew the separator plate was leaking as well as my cam seal but the plate cracked so I had to bite the bullet and pull the engine. I was wanting to put this off untill I did my STI drivetrain swap but I like living so I just pulled out the heart. Everything came apart or off easy but then it came to the exhaust manifold nuts and I could see they were going to be a huge issue but not as bad as they've become. First I used a die to clean the rusted threads after the nuts then I sprayed all of them with PB Blaster and let them soak for a hour while continuing to spray them in between. Next I grabbed a 14mm deep socket and ratchet and my Map gas. I don't have a good torch set and if I did I wouldn't be where I am now. So I heated the first one for about 5 mins and it came out but nut and stud together. The next one same deal heated it up but then SNAP, broken stud, then SNAP, SNAP SNAP SNAP. After I broke the second one I heated them up for 10+ mins never getting the nuts cherry red because it's only map gas. I really could've used a torch. Well they all broke about a 1/2" off the head which I though was good but NOPE. The studs are corroded to the aluminum its ridiculous. I am now in the process of drilling out each bolt until I get these PIA POS studs out. Most likely I'll have to heli coil them but at this point I just want to get this done. I just can't believe how corroded the studs are in the aluminum being this car spent 11 years in AZ and really was never driven in a winter until this past one with me. I've never had a Subaru with such fucked up exhaust studs off the head. Huh ok I am done venting now. Back to the BS oh wait back to Home Depot cuz I need some new drill bits.

Oh yeah I did try to remove the studs with my stud extractor socket with heat and when that didn't work I tried a vice grip but the studs wouldn't budge they just rounded off. I even tried to clean the surface and PB blast them again but they are so corroded it was time for drilling. Not how I wanted to spend the weekend and probably Monday and possibly Tuesday.

Yeah today I borrowed my guys torches and the remaining studs I didn't drill out STILL wouldn't come out. Even with the heat of the torches. The two I drilled out it looks like the corrosion worked its way down four threads from the top deeper then I actually thought. Then I ran out of oxygen so the torches are done. LOL. Back to drilling. Sucks.

I don't thing welding nuts will work because I tried torches but I have a mig so I'll give it a try. I have three studs to try new options.

Archived