LegacyGT.com

JDM springs, compress or replace?

chimera

Got an '07 JDM legacy (which I think is like '08/'09 in USDM?) and want to lower the car (lower, not dump it). Can't afford coilovers, so want to get lowering springs. However being that its JDM spec, I'm assuming it has bilstein springs. Therefore, am I better to get these compressed (and do I retain the progressive rate by doing this?) or am I better replacing with something else, like Tein's or similar? Compressing incl. labour is around $350. Replacement another couple hundred on top. Thoughts?

answer: no need to "assume" they are Bilsteins. Rear bilsteins will have a thick-metal aluminum lower perch for the springs, whereas the KYB's will have a stamped steel one press-fit onto the shock body. In front Bilsteins will be inverted, and have a slotted "bolt" sticking out the bottom of the strut with a locknut...it is recessed so don't expect it to be hanging way down, but there is no bolt or nut on the very bottom of a KYB. The "bolt" is actually the tip of the strut's compression rod.

question: I've never heard of "compressing" a coil, though I can imagine what that means. So any info you can provide might educate some of us. Is there someone that does that professionally, who has references & a good reputation? Better make that a spotless reputation. Of course I am in USA, so wouldn't ship springs to them for compression, but it would be an interesting approach for Outback XT owners if we could find a similar provider in USA.

I would think in NZ & Australia there would be a lively market for used springs (it's not that scary if they are not seriously scarred up or rusted). And then there is Pedders and King, right there in your backyard.

Thanks heaps for the reply, will have to head outside shortly with a torch and check! I was looking at these guys to compress the stock springs. My guess would be that they remove, heat them up, compress then wait til they cool down? Only logical explanation I can think of but only a guess. They offer drop between 10mm - 120mm (half inch to about 5")

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/suspension-braces/auction-594225841.htm

And speaking of which the legacy they have on their advertising is hot! (although USDM not JDM coz left hand drive, stole the photo?!)

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/75/158045575_full.jpg

Archived