LegacyGT.com

Plug wires - I need help in installing wires

First the wires that are on my car were installed by the previous owner and don't seem to fit in their length.

Because of the unknown situation of the current wires I bought a set of in the box Subaru wires, for $68. I was hoping that the wires would be marked 1 through 4 but they were not marked.

Talking to a mechanic at the dealership he did say that the longest wires go to #2 and #4. Ok that is fine but he didn't say where the longest one goes. I wouldgess that the longest one goes to #4.

I have

1 wire 24 inches

2 wires 22 - 1/4 inches

1 wire 21 - 1/8 inches

Does anybody know the order of the lengths. I would guess that #1 is the 22 - 1/4 of the wires and #4 would be the 24 inch wire.

Number two question - which way do the ears on the plug ends go. If my above estimation of which wires go where it would be self explanatory.

13388614_Plugend.thumb.jpg.b113d19b76ff491df4f6456ad9542c0c.jpg

Man, these plugs are giving you hell!

http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/diagrammatics/subaru-firing-order1.gif

if you look on the side of the valve covers you can see pretty clearly which direction the ears will face but i havent encountered different wire lengths so im not too sure that would matter as long as you have the plugs tied to the correct coil pin

Yep, I could not find a third party wire that fit. Tired three different sets.

Ha ha!!! After looking at the wires there is not way to install with the ears the wrong way. I was having some spacial confusion when I posted the question.

Of the third party wires they were too short or too long. The #4 wire was banging against the body and that is a no-no when running wires.

Having wires banging against things can be so bad that it can kill the AC/heating fan in a Caddie. In the service bulletin for my caddie it cautions to not have any spark plug wires rest against the metal fan housing because it can eventually short out the fan.

So I don't want my wires to bang against metal.

I did have a 25 year tech say that my engine could be anything from a 96>99 2.5 but he is sure that it is four cam motor. I mentioned to the guy that I am having some cyl 4 misfire issues (intermittent) and I am starting with the wires.

I talked with the guy that installed the engine and he installed plugs out of the other engine. I asked why? He said the plugs looked good. Errrrrr!!! I didn't say it but why in the world wouldn't you install new plugs when the motor was sitting out on the floor.

So it could be the plugs. I do know that my 95 was having a cyl misfire when I first got it and new spark plug wires fixed it.

Man, these plugs are giving you hell!

http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/diagrammatics/subaru-firing-order1.gif

if you look on the side of the valve covers you can see pretty clearly which direction the ears will face but i havent encountered different wire lengths so im not too sure that would matter as long as you have the plugs tied to the correct coil pin

A missfire can be caused by 20 different things.

As far as what year your motor is, are you saying it has had a 2.5 swapped in place of whatever the original motor was?

Judging by the shape of the spark plug wire end, it's a 97-99 EJ25D. That's if they actually fit the boring on the valve cover...

Now, the valve cover itself... Is it smooth? Or is there writing on it?

From what I can see there is writing at the top -

I can read 4 cam 16

I assume that after 16 it is valve.

Two times the misfire was activated was after I got gas. Ninety nine percent of the time it is cyl #4 and one time it was also cyl 3. I've owned the car for about three weeks with about 400 miles on it. It takes a few days before the code will light.

A missfire can be caused by 20 different things.

As far as what year your motor is, are you saying it has had a 2.5 swapped in place of whatever the original motor was?

Judging by the shape of the spark plug wire end, it's a 97-99 EJ25D. That's if they actually fit the boring on the valve cover...

Now, the valve cover itself... Is it smooth? Or is there writing on it?

installing plug wires is not rocket science.

plug in a wire, use the shortest one that will work.

then move on to the next one.

if you get to the end and the last wire does not reach, swap it for one that will.

done.

At least with these wires I am sure of the length. The other sets had the longest wire banging against the frame.

installing plug wires is not rocket science.

plug in a wire, use the shortest one that will work.

then move on to the next one.

if you get to the end and the last wire does not reach, swap it for one that will.

done.

Archived