LegacyGT.com

Water pump replacement

Help please!

I have been having a hell of time trying to get my 3 pipe water pump back on the engine block!

I haven't taken the cam sprocket covers off, and I know this make the job so much easier, but don't know how to?

I don't have a chain wrench, or special tool. How do I do it without?

I am going to have to go buy a new gasket, and clean the water pump up again, after getting it all sticky, and of course the engine block where I wanted to place it is sticky too.

I'd appreciate any advice on guidance, before I resort to getting the car towed to a Subaru workshop, and paying out hundreds of dollars.

Thanks.

Help please!..I am going to have to go buy a new gasket, and clean the water pump up again, after getting it all sticky, and of course the engine block where I wanted to place it is sticky too.

Use anaerobic sealant (red stuff). It doesn't set up in air, so won't be messy if you have to keep maneuvering worrying about drying.

O.

Use anaerobic sealant (red stuff). It doesn't set up in air, so won't be messy if you have to keep maneuvering worrying about drying.

O.

Hi mate,

I used Loctite, 515 sealant - the red stuff. The mechanic at our local auto shop recommended it for wp sealant.

I was able to get the damn thing in, with little struggle this afternoon? Instead of trying to install with the pipes affixed, I put the two (coolant and radiator) pipes on after I had bolted the wp to the block (100 in lbs torqued down). This made things much easier. The gasket I had got sticky yesterday was actually ok, so I used it.

I will let you all know how it pans out or if I have leaks due to this.

The 'z' seal (not sure if that what it's called) was a pain in the butt. It kept curling up, but I eventually got it in to an acceptable point. I think it acts more as a vibration buffer? It's not sealing any coolant against the block or anything.

I hope the car will start when I put it all back together!

An oil filter wrench or some kind of bar wedged into the pully will work in a pinch, just be careful not to damage the pully or the timing cover.

Thanks for the advice mailman, I was able to get it in without having to remove the cam shaft sprockets, but if I experience cam seal leaks, I will use the oil wrench and/or bar wedge when I need it.

Archived