LegacyGT.com

Cylinder #2 and #4 Misfiring. 05 LGT. Help!

I heard some misfiring in my car so I thought it was because I used 87 unleaded gas. I switched back to 93 and everything seemed fine and then my car started idling at 1.5k rpms which i guess is normal but then started shaking alot when i was slowing down from 10 mph and when I was at idle. I took my car to autozone and they said cylinder #2 and #4 were misfiring and I dont know what I should do. I've heard changing the sparkplugs/injectors/coilpacks should fix the problem but I dont know which to actually change. Can anyone help or has previous problems of these? Thanks I hope this is enough information.:confused:

I just did a bunch of reading trying to figure out what it could be, and it sounds like a compression test would be a good idea in addition to the things you've mentioned. Were those the only codes, misfire cylinders 2 and 4?

I refilled my tank when there was about 5 miles to go and it was almost empty. And yes those were the only 2 codes. I deleted the codes and added some injector cleaner or something and things were fine and there was no more rough idle then my check engine light came back on and it read the code p0021

In light of the p0021 code, it looks like you'll need to clean or replace your driver side oil control valve. I say driver side because of the driver side cylinders misfiring, the oil control valve can cause misfires.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-1136/Subaru-Legacy-GT-Oil/Detail

Picture of driver ocv location below, see post #8

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/help-p0021-intake-camshaft-position-timing-over-advanced-18887.html

*And actually, after reading through the thread above more it looks like you're probably just going to have to replace the valve, cleaning doesn't seem to do anything

Everything seems fine now after I used the injector cleaner and refilled with 93 gas my check engine lights went off. So hopefully it stays this way if not then il try to change my oil and if that doesn't fix it il definitely try to change the ocv. Thanks so much! :rolleyes:

How many miles on the car ?

You may want to think about a can of motor flush before the next oil change. I used to do that every other oil change or so.

Just follow the directions o nthe can, dump it in, start engine, idle for 5-8 minutes, shut off, change oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yup my check engine is back :mad: after driving for about 10 minutes on the highway it turned back on. also has slightly rough idle and when i slow down from about 5 mph it starts shaking alot like I said before. il see about the motor flushing after that il change my oil and then my ocv hopefully that fixes the problem. If not I might change my spark plugs and coil packs or I might just go to a mechanic and let him figure it out. Unless you guys have some other suggestions?:confused:

Running at 149k miles.

I had misfires (had bad ringland also...diagnosed with compression test). Changed my block/sparkplugs etc. and still had misfires. Swapped coil packs on cylinder 2 and 4 and now running like a champ. I was getting cylinder 2 misfire codes before I swapped the block. Cylinder 4 was the one with bad ringland.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I just got my forester back from the dealership last week. It had similar symptoms and was also throwing a misfire in #2 and #4. The dealership replaced the oil control valve and the car is good as new (just got back from a 4 day vacation with it). I'd start with the OCV and coil packs and go from there.

• 3 years later...

Op ever figure this out? Just did an oil change to rotella t6 and I installed catless dp and up about 500 miles ago and 50 miles after the oil change I am getting 2 and 4 misfire codes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Op ever figure this out? Just did an oil change to rotella t6 and I installed catless dp and up about 500 miles ago and 50 miles after the oil change I am getting 2 and 4 misfire codes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Have you started your own thread ?

Did you get the car tuned for the pipes ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived