LegacyGT.com

Dyno in NZ :/

PtPixel

I've been looking into getting some dyno runs for my stock GT before I do anything to it. I've inquired at a few places about getting some runs in and one came back saying it would be $120NZD and they would need to remove a fuse in order to test it as 2WD...

I've never dyno'd a car before so pretty new to this. Does that seem correct? I'm guessing the price is possibly a bit steep but within the range. The 2WD thing doesn't sound so right to me though, surely you can't just drop a fuse and go from AWD to 2WD?

(Bonus question: Any kiwis know of someone who's a good Legacy tuner in NZ? (Specifically Christchurch) Or am I able to get some dyno runs then get a pro tuner like Infamous etc. to tune from several thousand kms away?)

I'm not familiar with NZ cars, but is yours manual or auto? In some USDM models, a fuse could be yanked to force it into FWD mode....

Anyway, that is not how your car should be dynoed. If they're saying you need to pull a fuse, they're ill equipped to deal with your car. You require an AWD dyno.

As far as what SpecBlitzed said, I disagree. If the OP plans on modding the car, getting a baseline run and then re-dynoing it post-mod lets him know how much he gained from his mods. He doesn't need it to mod, but it's good knowing what your mods did for performance....

Thanks for all the input guys, the cars 6MT.

In the city where I live we have EFI that can do AWD dynos and tunes so they'd definitely be the better option.

Yeah figured I wouldn't need the "before" dyno but would be good for some reference and out of curiosity. Wouldn't have a clue how to find an open source tuner though, didn't see anything from a quick search.

Didn't know that about the fuse to get FWD, would've thought the drivetrain was permanently in AWD config

The fuse is only applicable for some autos. I can't remember off the top of my head which transmission could do it, but you have a 6MT so no, you can't yank the fuse. Just one more reason to run far away from that shop who told you that.

I offer Etune/open source services, see my link above for contact details

Phil

Oh awesome, thanks. So how does open source tuning work? Would I need to send you a dyno chart + some other info and you would send back a new map that I would get flashed onto the ECU?

Archived