LegacyGT.com

IAC Parts & bits - is there an alternative?

I'm replacing the bits on the IAC and associated hoses. The dealer seems to be the only place to get the coolant lines and hose from the crankcase up.

They have to order the parts and it takes days. Today I was going to order another hose and it will not be in until next Monday.

Out of my 5 cars it seems (so far) that this Subbie is the most addicted to "dealer only" parts which means high costs and lag time to fix.

The crazy little hoses and the amount in the area that are molded makes it a pricey little situation -

Hose 9404 - $8.23

Hose 21144 - $6.75

Hose from crankcase - $12.00

Gasket - $6.92

Total before sales tax - $33.92

That hose from the crankcase is about 4 inches long. I tried a piece of heater hose and it fits nice and tight. Tempted to use the heater hose.

Are there any alternative to dealer parts for things like molded hoses?

Maybe things will be better once I am out of the IAC situation.

The hose in question, the one to the crankcase has no coolant running in it. I guess it works like the old crank case breathing system. So a hose that is built for heat and pressure should easily be able to handle the breathing.

If its a heater hose it was designed to have coolant run through it. You should be alright.

Well its either a vac/breather line. Does it come up on the passenger side of the intake mani right next to it from the crankcase? If so, thats the crankcase breather. All cars have it as they all need to release pressure.

Not trying to tell you anything you didn't know... because the crossover hosing and breather hosing are similar.

Trust me, if you took it apart you'd know if it had coolant in it.

I did pay for them.

I almost didn't follow my long time policy of replace / fix it while in there. I could have passed on the one hose, it was fine but while in there replace it.

Tomorrow the "Z" shaped hose is supposed to arrive. Can't wait to get it back together because I think it is going to fix the lumpy idle. I cleaned the IAC and installed a new gasket. The last gasket was not broken but looked in sad shape.

Hello;

I would pay the price for these hoses, seems very reasonable. Steven.

Oil deposits lay in the hose bib part of the pipe, therefore to me it is the breather.

If that line has oil deposits on the inside of the tube its the crankcase ventilation.

I do have them.

That it is. I run mine to a catch can and then into the intake tubing.

You should have similar hoses on either side of the valve cover, coming from the valve cover.

FYI: just about the only reason to pay retail at the dealer is because you need it now and it is a dealer part.

if they have to order it you may as well order it online, and save 20%.

online dealers discount the parts, and then charge shipping . the shipping cost usually is a flat rate ($8 - $10) or 10% which ever is higher. but depending on how big the discount is, you are still going to save at least 10%, maybe 20%.

only subaru is going to have a molded coolant hose for the throttle body. but the question is , does it need to be ''molded''?

i don't think i would ever wait on parts from a local dealer.

get the part number and order it on line.

and considering all the questions you have asked over the last few weeks, wait and save up your parts needed and order them all at once from an online dealer. this will help reduce the percentage of the shipping costs.

FYI: just about the only reason to pay retail at the dealer is because you need it now and it is a dealer part.

online dealers discount the parts, and then charge shipping . the shipping cost usually is a flat rate ($8 - $10) or 10% which ever is higher. but depending on how big the discount is, you are still going to save at least 10%, maybe 20%.

only subaru is going to have a molded coolant hose for the throttle body. but the question is , does it need to be ''molded''?

and considering all the questions you have asked over the last few weeks, wait and save up your parts needed and order them all at once from an online dealer. this will help reduce the percentage of the shipping costs.

I'm new to Subaru's too and would love to have the names of good places to buy Outback parts.

Actually I did try to use some other hoses but it wouldn't work for the "Z" shaped hose. The other hose that looks like a "U" I think I could have made something work. The OEM from the dealer was an "L" on one side and then straight, you made the straight side bend a bit.

The "Z" hose that is in the picture is short and if I tried to bend coolant hoses in that short area there is the chance of kinking.

After complaining that the Subaru dealer in the next town would sell it for $6.75, my dealer honored the other price. I found out that NAPA does carry the "Z" shaped hose but charges about $13.

I do normally use other parts places but the dealer seemed to be the only place for the hoses. I looked but didn't have parts numbers that returned a hit. Now I have them and one of your links had the molded hose.

1927797517_TBtoIACcoolanthose.thumb.jpg.577d8e185ccfb1d81096854377660baf.jpg

Archived