LegacyGT.com

Hey guys.. anyone have any experience with the more modern mercedes diesels? I'm considering an E320 CDI/BLUETEC (05-08) for a commuter car in the up coming months.. I drove an '08 a couple months ago and liked it, but my only real experience with mercedes diesels are the slow, old noisy stinky ones (my father had a '79 240D-NONTURBO, and now has a fully restored '83 300 turbodiesel)

We had a few come in as trades at the BMW dealer I worked for, although these would have been 03-04 models. Same motor.

Seemed like good cars, quiet, a bit slow, but they do get pretty decent fuel economy for a full sized sedan.

You'll be better off and spend less money on a Civic if $aving$ is your primary goal, especially where maintenance is concerned.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards something bigger, 'nicer', good roadtrip type car. Though I would be using it to commute daily too. I had initially looked at a GS450H which I really liked, but then looked at the lack of trunk-damn batteries, and I also have some concerns about the longevity of it. I have more confidence in the diesel lasting longer, granted everything else in the car may go. Haha. The bluetec is supposed to do 0-60 in something like 6.6sec, I didn't test it, but it felt like a regular car. Something like 390lbft doesn't hurt.

I'm also considering holding out for the diesel cruze when that comes out.. 46mpg, something like 258lbft, and a 6spd? But I hate fwd. And I would prefer 'more' car..

If you're considering holding out for a car as small as the Cruze, why not look at the VW TDIs? Golf, Jetta, and Passats? A lot of people seem to enjoy them.

I personally will stay away from VWs just because of my family experiences with their reliability.

I personally will stay away from VWs just because of my family experiences with their reliability.

BINGO. I've heard too many bad stories about reliability of vws. It is on the list, at the bottom, and I can't say that I would pass on a good deal if I found one. I know audi did a tdi A3, not sure if that had a manual though. I know awd wasn't an option. But I've heard audi has a far higher reliability rating than vw.

I'm not really looking for anything that small, I'd prefer bigger, but I am considering it..

Mostly I want something fuel efficient to drive daily to keep the miles of my GT(07 w/32k and climbing). Just use the GT in the bad weather and as a toy :)

Archived