LegacyGT.com

exhaust cutout?

Guest clawdnb

Guest clawdnb
i have a theoretical question here....has anyone looked into a putting a cutout on our exhaust system? i was just wondering after looking at the 4" downpipe to 3" straitpipe exhaust my friend has on his wrx, it seems like he could just have no pipe at all given how large diamater it already is and be good still, so i say why not just put a cutout in a stock setup to get around the restrictive stock cats and whatnot and and avoid 1000 worth of piping and fartcans that attract police attention....i know it would probably sound ungodly loud and scary and backfire and pop, but it wouldnt be like that unless you were running it with the cutout open...is this just a completely off idea? or would something like this work and show any gains?

Well ChruiSSer on this board is running no cats, no res, and no mufflers and he ran a 13.3 the other week at the track at 100+mph so I would say yea it will show some high end gains.

Probably lose some low end TQ due to backpresser loss but should lower et's

Guest clawdnb
You'll probably want something a little more sophisticated than just a regular cutout:

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

This way you can keep the quiet stock catback, and get the all out power of an open exhaust on the topend. But unless you're going for 350+ whp, you probably won't need it.

that thing is exactly what i was thinking...except i want to run a pipe off it and out towards the side/rear of the car to expel the noise that way and not rattle the cabin apart....can anyone really think of any real problems installin g something like this on a LGt, or is it a good alternative way to keep stock exhaust and get all the gains of a full tru 3" since you cant fit a proper 3"+ exhaust under our car.....any ideas on whether this would produce an insane subby low-rumble tone, or hi pitched 4cyl scream?

Guest clawdnb
so are these things decent, like this is a good idea, and not some stupid ricer way to make my car really loud for no reason? im just curious as to what i can expect if any performance gains....that last site linked claimed 20/20ish in the gains area on a stock wrx, which is the same as a 3" turboback....so would having this give the same gains essentially as a catless turbo back on a Lgt?

• 2 weeks later...
this is actually going to be my next mod, i prefer the quicktimeperformance.com unit b/c it will stay quiet even when i get on the gas unless i hit the switch that opens it. it seems like the one that atp is offering, opens automatically when boost is present (My mom rides in the car with me a lot)

i actually ordered it

i'm gonna install it right after the last car for now

b/c i don't have aftermarkte UP or DP.

When i get catless UP and DP, i'll be installing one highflow cat after the cutout

you gotta be somewhat nice to enviroment if ya know what i mean ;)

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

my buddy has jeep 5.9 and he has a cut out after the cat

and it still is LOUD!!

i thought my car was loud but i guess not lol

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

it works out just fine.. but depending on some race places, I cant do this cutout method of having the exhuast just not terminating at the end of the car.. but for a street car, it's a definite sleeper of a street car that is waking up when you do a down shift and BLAST past a ricer on the street :lol:

Keefe

Keefe

Archived