LegacyGT.com

Clutch replacement questions

RMOBXT

Hello-

So I have been doing tons of research about replacing my clutch on my '05 Outback XT, which is on its way out. My car was built October 2004, which means it has the pull type clutch. So I don't know if I have the options of using a TSK kit or converting from the dual mass to single mass flywheel. Can anyone give me any clarification on this? I'm trying to find which kits would be compatible, but most places don't specify if my 10/04 built, pull-type car will work with their parts.

Basically, I would love to be able to just buy this kit, but I want to make sure it will work.

Many Thanks!

I have a very early (July '04) LGT so I'm pretty sure we have the same clutch. After fragging the OEM clutch and an Unorthodox Racing setup after only 30k miles each I installed an OEM 07-up kit. 3 years and almost 60k later and it's still going strong. Clutch effort is less than stock and takeup is WAY smoother. It was also considerably less expensive than the OEM 05-06 kit. I bought it from Fred Beans back in '10 but I can't find it now, just the individual pieces. You may want to give them a call and see if they still sell it as a kit. Finally, if you're planning on any upgrades, initial or further, they claimed it was good up to 305 ft-lb of torque, so anything less than Stage 2+ would be OK.

I have a May 04 car, my wagon, I did install the TSK3 kit in it and currently love my Spec 2 clutch I put in it. Very nice pedal feel not to much different than my 09 Spec B OEM clutch.

I did use Spec's LWFW but would not do it again. You loose driveability with a LWFW.

One nice thing about the Spec LWFW is the face is replaceable for about $80.00

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is there some sort of kit that comes with the single mass flywheel, something like a wide angle damper disc, like the second kit down here includes? I want to stick with the OEM and solid flywheel and TSK3 in the kit above, and there is nothing like that WAD in the OEM kit.

Yeah, that's the one. Honestly I don't remember if I went w/ the TSK or not - I think not. Boy, it's really gone up in price! I paid $500 3 years ago. Somewhat off-topic but it's the same old monetary policy BS - Japan's deliberately devaluing the yen now but import prices haven't dropped.

• 1 month later...
Long time no see. Did you replace the clutch yourself, or can you recommend a local shop? I'd love to talk with someone about my symptoms, besides Hiley (about our only dealer choice anymore).

Cobb Tuning is close to you, look them up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ehhh, I dunnu. Maybe. What's that expression: Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

What's so difficult. Do a web search for Cobb Tuning.

Here's a old Honda racing buddy http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/index.php/en/home.html,

email him and ask him if he knows someone in your area, Tony Palo is a respected name.

Ask people you work with who they use for repairs. Ask the guy's at the auto parts store...

Archived