LegacyGT.com

Looking for some reviews or at least opinions. I am planning on outfitting my garage this summer into a proper work space and not just a forgotten parking spot. I have most of it worked out but the flooring. It seems like it can be tricky since it will be seeing most of the abuse from hot tires and jacks...etc. what option sounds good?

1)

http://www.racedeck.com/residentialgarageflooring.html

2)

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/grooved+garage+floor+mat.do?sortby=ourPicks

3)

http://www.ucoatit.com/2011web/pages/systems-for-residential.htm

Thanks!

Just cleaned up the winter crud off my Racedeck floor. Put it down a few years ago and it still looks good. No problems using a floor jack. I do place a board under the jack stand as a precaution.

Epoxy floors is all about the prep work. When done right it does look great.

• 2 weeks later...

How does winter crud affect Racedeck? Does water seep into gaps?

Winter here is harsh.. -30C any given day... roads are sanded (but not salted) so there's a lot of crap that gets left behind.

Would I have to lift every tile up in the spring time and clean?

Having installed (and removed) race deck at a buddy's house, i would choose option 2 or 3. (actually, i would leave it concrete!).

As people above have said, all sorts of stuff gets in the openings of race deck. You can vacuum some of it up, but once a year, you reallllly need to take it all up to get the subfloor properly cleaned.

I'm a fan of doing somethign once, and not having to worry about it again where possible. The Race deck looks cool, but i wouldnt want to pull it up once a year. I like the idea of a solid piece floor, with no cracks or crevices.

I personally have concrete flooring in my garage, with about 15 carpet squares ready to throw down when im on the ground.

I have both solid and free flow tiles on either side of my garage. The free flow definitely let's a lot of stuff get under. The other side with solid coin top remains pretty clean underneath.

I will probably replace the free flow with solid tiles for lower maintenance . The only thing that really gets under the tiles are lost insects. Chase a cricket to the edge and it will dive underneath forever.

I actually used to work for an industrial flooring company, doing engineering/product development, and have experience installing a lot of different flooring systems as well. Once I buy a house and have a garage, I plan on doing a coating.

I don't have any personal experience with the residential brands, but if it's worth anything, Rust-Oleum is part of the same parent company as the flooring company I worked for. I quit that job for a variety of reasons, but I can say without reservations that they had great products.

As others have said, good prep is key. I see you're in York, PA...I live in Towson, MD, so if you go the coating route and need some help, let me know.

Floor coatings are most commonly epoxy or urethane based - good overview here. They can also be methylmethacrylate (MMA), but the only real advantage there is rapid cure for limited install windows.

Hey, I appreciate the link and thanks for the offer! I will keep that in mind. I am glad to hear some confidence in the coatings route, I have heard some horror stories but I think the majority of it was prep not done right.

light color epoxy, yellow, orange, lime green basically seal the concrete from oil and gas and give it a color that when you drop a tiny nut, pin, clip etc you dont have to look for it for the next hour or so.

• 6 months later...
  • I Donated

Old thread, but I put this stuff down in my garage:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/g-floor-garage-floor-cover-protector-10-39-x-22-39/144557.ip?navAction=push

Super easy install (just roll out and cut to fit), and fairly durable and resilient -- seems like ripples and the like from moving stuff around mostly fix themselves. Also easy to clean, and easy to contain spills due to the ribbing. A downside is that it can be tough on your knees if you kneel on it. The only other problem with it in my garage is the floor does not slope properly, so we get huge puddles of snowmelt that don't flow out.

Old thread, but I put this stuff down in my garage:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/g-floor-garage-floor-cover-protector-10-39-x-22-39/144557.ip?navAction=push

Super easy install (just roll out and cut to fit), and fairly durable and resilient -- seems like ripples and the like from moving stuff around mostly fix themselves. Also easy to clean, and easy to contain spills due to the ribbing. A downside is that it can be tough on your knees if you kneel on it. The only other problem with it in my garage is the floor does not slope properly, so we get huge puddles of snowmelt that don't flow out.

How does this hold up when you jack up the car or use jack stands? Does it gouge or return to normal after?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• I Donated
How does this hold up when you jack up the car or use jack stands? Does it gouge or return to normal after?

The jack doesn't deform it at all. Jack stands put indentations in it, but they seem to go away after a day or two. I've only had it down for a few months, though -- we'll see how it does as it gets older. My father-in-law has had it down for years now, but he doesn't work on cars.

• 1 month later...

Archived