LegacyGT.com

Tuning advice, from stock ;/

Hey anyone who cares!

BP5 driver, Japanese 2003 turbo 2.0GT wagon ... AT .. brum! (do they have a cat in the uppipe?!)

I posted earlier another thread regarding changing the battery, all done- outside the hickup of losing the clock and radio settings. Dang!

Within that forum, I was told about tuning and the lark, moreover the catted uppipe, and the ECU being remapped.

After a couple hours reading online, I found the Cobb Accessport, which seems the go-to chip, (over that other thing). Im assuming this looks pretty easy to use for the beginner.

I also found a guide on de-catting the OEM exhaust, which looks... kinda simple to do, but for obvious reasons 'expennnsive', I dont really want to do that considering the cost of an OEM uppipe.

Are there any other things I need to know? Will I be able to do the installation of the uppipe myself? If I do the uppipe, will it be worth doing anything else - and how much knowledge is needed? Could I just go off video guides or will it be too heavy for a newb such as myself?

Also, will any garage do it? Im currently living in Japan and I dont even know the japanese for "uppipe", is it an illegal mod? Will there be any other changes due to decatting (outside power)?

Thanks in advance and all ;-)

Hi, I would search around in the local forums if you can find them here or over on NASIOC.

I'm sure there must be Tuners near you that can answer all your questions.

You might want to PM Frank_ster, he's pretty good with these cars, or may be one of the Tuners int he Vendors Forum here.

I would guess the up pipe install would be the same as ours. You pull the down pipe and turbo.

It sounds like your young and not very mechanical ? The job is not that hard with the proper tools.

Are you military ? The base should have a auto hobby shop. Ask around there about working on these cars.

May be someone else will chime in here soon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, right now Im 30- but have experience in ripping out an old radio and replacing it with some other thing. . . Computers are also no problem (rip em apart, fixing etc)

But mechanical? Not really.

I really rummaged through the forums last night on "what-to-do", it looks fairly straight forward- but you know for a fact that as it's my first time really "hands-on", you know some nuts are gonna get screwed up.

Im also not-military... I could find a base if I tried... But I wouldn't want to get shot on-site.

If you read on here, make a list of what you'll need and make a list of the steps makea list of the tools.

You should be ok to tackle the up/dp. You'll need to lift the turbo, so may as well put a new oil return hose on the turbo.

I used bolts in place of the studs in the up that hold the turbo on. May it very easy to line up the oil return, turbo inlet hose and up pipe all at the same time.

The bolts are the same ones that hold the up pipe bracket to the block.

Use anti-sieze compound on all nuts and bolts, everywhere on the car, even lug nuts.

FWIW, here are some pictures in my thread, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

You'll see the up pipe and turbo bolted to it. Lots of good info there too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=uppipe+subaru+legacy&_sop=15

Obviously, the best ones are the most expensive, right? Will it make much difference, or will they all be much better than the stock? Will a 2.5l engine Legacy part fit my 2.0turbo? Would an uppipe with a "ball" in the middle be better than a straight? And what is the purpose of the exhaust wrap you had in your photos earler?

; lots of good advice, sorry to be asking so much... as I said, if you need a computer problem sorting- Im yer man ;-)

By ball in the middle do you mean the flex area ?

I have a Invidia up and down pipes that I bought from my Tuner. They fit great.

The heat wrap keeps heat in the pipes. Heat has energy in it. It's that energy that spools the turbo. It also keeps heat out of the engine bay.

I'm going to guess here, your car has a catless up pipe.

By ball in the middle do you mean the flex area ?

I mean this "shape" in the middle, for example

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Megan-Racing-Stainless-exhaust-manifolds-02-06/dp/B000PG6VPM/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1366114361&sr=1-2&keywords=up+pipe]here @ amazon[/ame]

or just a straight "to-the-point" one like

this one here

The heat wrap keeps heat in the pipes. Heat has energy in it. It's that energy that spools the turbo. It also keeps heat out of the engine bay.

I always thought that heat, and sound were both "wasted" energy. I mean, yes, you could convert that heat energy into energy, but in this case, wouldnt it just blow hotter air into the turbo?

Is there a way to tell if its catless or not? I mean its the first of the BP5 series, released in Japan- so if that's the case, then surely it'd be a copy of the first of the BP5 in the US, right?

I mean this "shape" in the middle, for example

here @ amazon

Yes that is the flex area, it allows the ends to move a bit for heat expansion.

or just a straight "to-the-point" one like

this one here

The Invidia is the one I have.

I always thought that heat, and sound were both "wasted" energy. I mean, yes, you could convert that heat energy into energy, but in this case, wouldnt it just blow hotter air into the turbo?

That's the point, hotter air has more enenrgy to spin the turbin wheel sooner. For the turbo the more heat the better getting to it. Just the oppsite on the exit side, getting the heat away faster is better, less back pressure on the wheel slowing it down. THe fast the wheel spins the more air the intake side sucks in.

Is there a way to tell if its catless or not? I mean its the first of the BP5 series, released in Japan- so if that's the case, then surely it'd be a copy of the first of the BP5 in the US, right?

Not without removing the pipe. Hey, Look up Paul at AVO he will know the anwser and be able to sell you the right part the first time. The site may be AVO turbo world. He is on here from time to time.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/ that's the world site, not you'll get to Paul but you should be able to find the info there.

I sent a PM and an email to the people you mentioned, no answer as of yet ;/

Went to a few mechanics around here, theyd rather do the whole exhaust than just the in pipe. There a reason for that? - I mean the pipe doesnt actually touch the mid-pipe right?

Sorry, all these questions. I'm wanting to hit the buy key so the stuff can be ordered asap ;-)

Don't be in a hurry to spend your money.

Paul at AVO has posted on here, I emailed my Tuner Monday night, didn't here back from him until noon yesterday. Remember these guy's don't sit by the PC all day long.

Mike Kinsman lives close to me, I been to his house. He has a life outside of the Web. :)

Another good source for info would be members "m sprank, and Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com" I have bought lots of stuff from both of them. "Nrw", Niel may have some answers too. I have bought stuff from him too.

Again these guy's may be busy or on a vacation.

I just did a web search for Paul, got this

Email: paul@avoturboworld.com

24-Hour Fax line: (206)546-3506

Technical and General Inquiries: (206)546-4455

Max

Archived