LegacyGT.com

Strange noise from rear wheel. Hub??

A few days ago I discovered that my RR tire was flat, and took it in to Tires Plus. The tire had a nail in it, and was patched. Everything was peachy. The drive home I started to notice a strange noise from the same wheel. Almost like I had picked up another nail. Sounded quite nasty, especially on decel, whether or not the clutch is engaged or not. Sort of like a hum, or the sound of a jet engine powering down. Definitely speed dependent.

Took it to the same place and they recommended the Hub Assembly be replaced. Which sounded perfectly acceptable to me. But I ended up driving it home after much debate. Then proceeded to drive it another hundred miles before the night was over. :cool::confused::spin::mad:;):eek::p

Anyway, is this common? It's my first AWD car and I'm very unconfident in making any diagnosis.

PS. If you tell me to use the "Search" function, go jump off a bridge.

Thanks!

These cars are known for the rear hubs going bad as well as the fronts. My left front went first.

What year is yours ? You can drive a long time before the bearing is really bad, but if you can hear that clearly yours is ready to go.

Most of us hear a low hum for a long time, the hum will change as you take corners at highway speeds.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived