LegacyGT.com

Jacobpockros's 2001 Legacy GT Limited Sedan 5-Speed thread

Nice!

I bought my new, factory-ordered, 05 LGT limited wagon from the owner at Irvine Subaru. She was offering as many 05 LGTs as we wanted, at her invoice minus her holdback. So 4% less than invoice, all we paid was shipping. Like your experience, today is a far cry from those days.

Good luck with your new ride.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...
Update:

Also replaced the rear main seal, but I’m pissed because I found out that it was a pointless thing to do on these engines... after I pulled the old one out.

What a great thread, thanks for sharing your build.

What makes it pointless? I'm facing a main seal replacement...I think.

What a great thread, thanks for sharing your build.

What makes it pointless? I'm facing a main seal replacement...I think.

Factory-installed rear main seals on those engines hardly leak, ever. 1 out of 200 maybe? If not smaller odds than that. I put the new one in literally perfectly flush, like a textbook installation…. and it started showing wetness less than 10k miles later. My friend that did engine work at Subaru for 4 years replaced the one on his own car and it started to leak lol. The factory-installed one on my car had over 150k miles on it and wasn’t leaking before I took it out. Rear main seals are only worth replacing on engines that are known to have rear main leaks because seal replacement is sometimes a roll of the dice. I would check your car from the highest point to its lowest point to verify its not leaking from another point, unless your seal has been replaced in the past.

Edited by Jacobpockros

Factory-installed rear main seals on those engines hardly leak, ever. 1 out of 200 maybe? If not smaller odds than that. I put the new one in literally perfectly flush, like a textbook installation…. and it started showing wetness less than 10k miles later. My friend that did engine work at Subaru for 4 years replaced the one on his own car and it started to leak lol. The factory-installed one on my car had over 150k miles on it and wasn’t leaking before I took it out. Rear main seals are only worth replacing on engines that are known to have rear main leaks because seal replacement is sometimes a roll of the dice. I would check your car from the highest point to its lowest point to verify its not leaking from another point, unless your seal has been replaced in the past.

Great insight. My '01 GT trans was rebuilt at 175K (now 225K) but I don't "think" they did the seal at the same time. Is that a thing? This calls for further investigation.

Again thanks for sharing your build. Irvine Subaru did my head gaskets. I may join you with a WRX one day - maybe soon.

After I got this legacy when I pulled the motor the rear main was leaking, can confirm unless your doing a new engine build or the rear main is leaky I would just leave it be on the motor.

Where most of the oil will be from a leaky rear main, check on the top of the steering rack and the top side of the subframe under the trans mount, there should be a inspection plate on the top side oposite the clutch (little plastic plug), and theres a small metal inspection plate/dust cover on the bottom that can be pulled. its attahced to the motor. If the rear main is leaking it should be obvious when you pull the lower cover.

What the transmission and top of the subframe will look like when you have a rear main leak.

51649194015_3ce81dee6a_c.jpg

The bottom inspection plate on the pulled motor that had the leaky rear main. you can see the oil residue build up, this should be what you look for when you pull the plate.

51663663864_4db648811c_c.jpg

Parts diagram location of the plate.

https://parts.subaru.com/images/parts/subaru/fullsize/B12_01101050.png

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__/49239115__6024575/FLYWHEEL/B12-011-01.html

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__Legacy22L-MT-4WDL-WAGON/COVER-COMPLETE-CLUTCH-HOUSING/49239115/30216AA030.html

You can see I had that seal 100% flat too. Perfectly flush with the back of the engine. If I did it again the same way it could last 100k miles or 20k, just no way to tell. It all fairness it wasn’t a horrible leak since there were never drops of oil pooling underneath or anything like that but clearly oil in front of the trans, even more so with the trans exposed as xrayspec showcases…. Edited by Jacobpockros