LegacyGT.com

HELP, awful noise from tranny/clutch area

Started to drive into town, dreadful noise. Not related to engine speed, clutch position, transmission setting. With engine off and tranny in neutral, pushing the car back and forth just a couple INCHES makes a godawful kind of rattling sound. As best I can tell it is coming from the center of the power-train, somewhere in the vicinity of the clutch or tranny. It's real tinny sounding though, kind of like a rock stuck someplace, or maybe a piece of sheet metal rubbing against something. Night-time, so haven't jacked it up yet. So much for any fun tonite ...

It just went away while I had it jacked up and was rotating the wheels to try to isolate the sound. Sure seems like a rock was stuck somewhere, I can't figure out where. The way the sound was resonating around all that metal, it was REALLy hard to figure out where the sound was coming from. Oh well, guess I'll throw the tire back on and take it for a drive and see what happens ...

Took it for a test drive - not a sound. Must have been a rock stuck somewhere. I live down a 1/2 mile gravel road. Maybe between the brake rotor and the backing plate ?

That happened to me once it was a terrible noise took the wheel off and tapped the back dust cover and it fell out, problem solved

Archived