LegacyGT.com

Can I use factory alarm with no remote?

My legacy is equipped with the subaru keyless entry and alarm siren. I only have keys but no key fob remotes. Is there a way to set it up so I can lock the car with my key or the button on the door yet still have an alarm go off if someone tries to break in or sets off the shock sensors? I've heard of something called valet mode but I don't know if that's what I'm looking for or how to enable it.

If the alarm system is currently active, you can arm the alarms system by locking the doors from the inside switch. But, the only way to deactivate it is to cycle the key in the ignition switch every time you open the door by unlocking the door lock. This will cause the alarm to go off. That's why you'd have to cycle the key.

If the alarm system is currently inactive you can't activate it without the remote...

Also, you have to have the alarm system to use it. Not all vehicles that came with keyless entry came with an alarm system. My 96 GT had keyless entry but no alarm system while my 99 OBL has both.

Honestly, spend the $50 to buy an OEM remote off the internet.

there is a replacement fob available. i have purchased 2 of them for $30, each. or just get a used one off ebay. $30 is pretty cheap.

valet mode is basically ''alarm off'' . it lets you use the key to unlock / start the car with no alarm going off.

can you use the newer ones integrated into the keys?

i wonder what it would entail to make that work... hmm....

Not sure about that. I wouldn't count on it though.

Btw, you're in the valley, right? If you ever go to a Subaru dealer, where have you taken yours? I just made an appointment with Lithia Subaru downtown to get my seat belt replaced but I didn't know it there's a more respected dealer in the Spokane area.

there is a replacement fob available. i have purchased 2 of them for $30, each. or just get a used one off ebay. $30 is pretty cheap.

valet mode is basically ''alarm off'' . it lets you use the key to unlock / start the car with no alarm going off.

They're going for like $50-80 on eBay. How long ago did you buy your replacement and where did you get it? Maybe the dealer I contacted was mistaken or couldn't get one.

i got a new replacement (looks different but works the same) from larry, lmdew (?), on ultimatesubaru.org. i think he is in colorado.

but it was several years ago.

Ahhh I see. ikeyless.com sells a generic replacement but they got horrible reseller ratings so I think I'll hold out for an OEM one.

Does anyone know what the backwards compatibility of Subaru remotes are? I could probably get a better deal if I could eBay for a broader scope than 1998 Legacies.

Yep 95 to 98 it a separate system than the 99 to 04 systems. Remotes are not compatible. I've already gotten board enough to try between my 99 and my 96 systems (I can't get anything to program to my 96's anymore for some reason...).

Archived