LegacyGT.com

New Struts and Springs - Recommendations?

I need to replace all four struts on my '98 Legacy Wagon L. Although I could probably get away with using the original springs, I am looking into replacing the springs at the same time as the struts. I recently upgraded the OEM 14" steel wheels to 15" Konig Lace wheels and a set of 195/60R15 Michelins.

I've read through the numerous suspension and maintenance stickies here and elsewhere. I'd like to hear from you all on your recommendations for specific parts and sources for new struts and new springs. If it is relevant, I live in San Antonio, TX, and my Subie currently has 102K miles on the original engine and brake system.

I'd like to get struts and springs that retain the same height (or even raise it an inch). In addition, I want the OEM 'feel' as far as ride comfort and handling. This car is predominantly a daily driver and I want a comfortable ride first and handling second. As a disabled vet, I am very limited in my physical abilities and can only physically handle minor car repairs. As such, I will likely be hiring someone to install the struts and springs.

With these requirements in mind, please reply with a recommendation for new struts and new springs. In addition, if there are additional parts that are needed or recommended (i.e., strut mounts), please advise. Finally, if you know a good shop in San Antonio, please recommend a mechanic as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

On my Outback, I replaced the springs with OEM springs, and the struts with KYB GR-2s. They are OEM replacements, but about 10% stiffer than stock. So not hard, but a tiny boost in stiffness to go along with your slightly larger wheels. I think that's a good place to start if you are looking for some good struts at a cheap price...

definitely go with gr-2s as a replacement strut, you could also get the ag-xs made for the impreza - they're a bit stiffer still and are adjustable..

if you want lowering springs, i'd would go with H&R, they have been my favorite out of a handful of different sets ive tried, stiff spring rate for the daily drive and occasional track day

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/wakeboardingguy/IMAG0071.jpg

(it's already too low in my opinion - not enough ground clearance).
buy the kyb-gr2s but buy the ones for the 96 - 98 outback. they are 2 inches taller. same with the springs.

you can use the legacy springs with the outback struts just fine. it is possible in the late 90s the out back and legacy springs were the same.

but regardless, outback struts and springs will raise the car about 2 inches and it is a direct bolt on. no modifications. i have don e this to my 97 GT, and my 00 lego L. it will cost you next to nothing since you are buying new struts anyway.

not many folks replace springs. price them from the dealer and then see how much you can safe by buying another brand. or just get them from an online dealer.

good luck.

definitely go with gr-2s as a replacement strut, you could also get the ag-xs made for the impreza - they're a bit stiffer still and are adjustable..

if you want lowering springs, i'd would go with H&R, they have been my favorite out of a handful of different sets ive tried, stiff spring rate for the daily drive and occasional track day

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/wakeboardingguy/IMAG0071.jpg

not trying to hijack but what setup is this ^^^ i like the stance and am looking for suspention as well

I went to a good shop in San Antonio when I was there on a road trip in a 98 Suzuki Esteem. Well, I don't know if he was good but he was definitely honest and fair, compared to the Midas I had gone to the day before. I don't remember the name of the shop, but it was very small (one bay garage), just off an interstate and maybe near an AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts. Sorry I can't be of more help, it was in 2006 and may not even be there anymore, lol. Best of luck.

buy the kyb-gr2s but buy the ones for the 96 - 98 outback. they are 2 inches taller. same with the springs.

you can use the legacy springs with the outback struts just fine. it is possible in the late 90s the out back and legacy springs were the same.

but regardless, outback struts and springs will raise the car about 2 inches and it is a direct bolt on. no modifications. i have don e this to my 97 GT, and my 00 lego L. it will cost you next to nothing since you are buying new struts anyway.

not many folks replace springs. price them from the dealer and then see how much you can safe by buying another brand. or just get them from an online dealer.

good luck.

That's the route I went...I think you'd be happy with that setup. Did that suspension swap on my 98 Legacy and have been loving it ever since. Actually feels a lot like my buddy's bugeye WRX...little to no body roll even with the added extra inches.

Well my buddy (LJ08GT) got me set up with them. They came off of a 03 WRX wagon with about 50K on them,so for $125 bucks i got a sweet deal.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r637/zangado8/PassSideLowered_zps92ac2ac9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am glad I took the Subie in for a THIRD opinion. Broken front driver side spring ... all those NE winters took their toll. First two shops didn't catch it ... third time is a charm it seems.

Waiting on new Monroe struts and OEM springs. Decided to do all four after walking under car and talking to the mechanic.

Thanks again for all who gave advice on this issue.

• 4 weeks later...
In the same vein. My '99 Outback 2.5l 4EAT wagon is about to hit 200k. Looking at replacing struts and springs on all 4 corners. Looks like the KYB-GR2s are the favorite, at least on Legacies. Wouldn't mind getting another 1/2 - 1" of clearance. Any thoughts on a spring / strut combo? Does anyone make/sell a set already put together so it is an easy swap. Running 225/60-16's and will be swapping out to '04 WRX front brakes and stainless brake lines at the same time.

Yep, repainted red, replaced all the rubber parts, bought the stainless lines - just been too lazy to do the work. 'Course now I've waited 'til it is hot as hades in Houston... Have to bust out the 46" fan...... you doing Ok?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived