LegacyGT.com

Misfire - cylinder 2 P0302

Here's a little background. I have gotten sporadic P0302 codes for the past 2 years on my wife's 2005 Legacy GT. There was usually 6 months or so between episodes. The car seemed fine. Until late February that is. The car threw P0302 and idled like crap after a 20 minute drive on the highway. I tried swapping the coil with cylinder 4 and the fuel injector with cylinder 1. The plug seemed fine. The code came back almost immediately as P0302. That was the extent of my diagnostic ability, so I sent it to the shop. They did a compression test and cylinder 2 was low. They pulled the head to investigate and here's a picture of what they saw.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2rm5dzr.jpg

One of the exhaust valves was burnt. The rest of the exhaust valves were pitted. They sent the heads out to a machine shop and had all of the exhaust valves replaced. The machine shop said they've been seeing a lot of this lately. By the way, the car has 88k miles. Luckily the shop said the turbo impeller was still nice and tight.

Browsing this board seems to indicate this isn't an unusual problem with these cars. I just thought I'd share, mostly because the picture is too good not to.

I actually got it back three weeks ago. It was pricey, roughly $3500. Although I did have them replace the timing belt and water pump while they were in it since that service was coming up, somewhat offsetting a portion of the labor.

Yep pretty common knowledge. I've been posting about this for about 5 years.

The factory MAP has a flaw, it is also present in the 5th gen's too.

A good Tuner can fix the MAP.

My wagon has been on Cobb AP since it had 8000 miles on it, Dec 04. When my heads were rebuilt last April, the machine shop owner told me mine were the first set of these heads they've done that didn't need valves.

My Tuner was one of the first guy's to find the flaw in the OEM MAP.

He has a post about it in the Vendor Forum, Tuning Alliance.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived