LegacyGT.com

Smoke vs. Dark Smoke

evil_O

Gettin' ready to place my order for my headlamp corners, turn signals, backups, and tails. The car is ABP and my windows are 20% all around. I am trying to decide if I want:

1. Smoke

or

2. Dark smoke

Has anyone seen the difference of the two up close and personal? I know this is going to reduce some of my light output but will "dark smoke" be too much reduction on the reverse lights and brake lights? I don't wanna be a traffic hazard. On the other hand will "smoke" be dark enough for the tint I have on the windows now?

I am going to get them through hot subaru... so I am just curious on opionions. The more the merrier.

C'mon whatcha think? I know you are all opinionated. Tell me how crappy these things are going to be too.. hehehe.....:D

evil_O,

Can't help you directly as I went with something that's decidedly less "tinted," but here's an APB for your reference:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=255198#post255198 - I'm post number 87. OCD's pictures on his RB LGT sedan can be found on earlier pages, and better show-off details. :) His also has pictures of how that particular film, with a tinted middle section, does -NOT- significantly reduce reverse-light output.

Oh, and unfortunately, Winky doesn't have any window tints.

Hope this helps!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i have the smoke on the wagon backup lights and foglights. The foglights alrighty look pretty dark since there's no light coming thru from the back of it. I do notice a reduction in the output of the reverse light although mine is a wagon and not a sedan. The material is a lot thicker than window tint film.

That is what I am contemplating. I have the wagon as well... coupled with my 20% tint now.. and then dark smoking the reverse lights.. I wonder if I will even be able to see.. hehe. It is all about the look anyway right? ;)

I think if I go smoke I will always wonder what the dark smoke looked like. :confused:

TSi+WRX - thanks.. I have perused that thread. I guess I am looking for something a bit more specific but that has helped my cause.

This is me ----> //////////////////

leaning towards the dark smoke.

The dark smoke is what my corners are. No light impedence there. Of course, my kit comes from Jinsu Power, so I don't know what kind you would be getting from hot subaru. I can vouch for the quality of Jinsu Power's material though. It is exaclty the way I wanted it to look.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The dark smoke is what my corners are. No light impedence there. Of course, my kit comes from Jinsu Power, so I don't know what kind you would be getting from hot subaru. I can vouch for the quality of Jinsu Power's material though. It is exaclty the way I wanted it to look.

I think they will be very similiar as both (I believe) are 17 mil vinyl.

Looking at Jinsu's site it does not appear as though they have the reverse or tails for the wagon... so... I think I am going to keep all things congruent and go with those from Hot Subaru.....

unless someone can persuade me not too.. :p

Well, unless you suddenly get a sedan, I guess you have to go where the products are. Those corners were my idea though. Just thought I'd set the record straight. :D I'm glad someone got the wagon tails finally made though. I hear they are a little tougher to install. The full headlight covers were tricky too because of the curves. I would just suggest you be very patient when you put them on and make sure you have a hair dryer handy.

Click here for more pictures if you are interested.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Well, unless you suddenly get a sedan, I guess you have to go where the products are. Those corners were my idea though. Just thought I'd set the record straight. :D I'm glad someone got the wagon tails finally made though. I hear they are a little tougher to install. The full headlight covers were tricky too because of the curves. I would just suggest you be very patient when you put them on and make sure you have a hair dryer handy.

Click here for more pictures if you are interested.

:lol:

Thanks OC... I have perused your site as well. I even used your method to detail my engine bay on my '04 Passat - for a car show I entered her in!!

The only draw back I have at this point is with the tint for the turn signals. They only offer smoke while all the other tint is dark smoke. Sooooo now I am thinking about the HID look - hid blue covers for the turn signals on the side mirrors only. It might not look half bad given the color of my wagon (ABP).

What are the thoughts on these? Anyone tried them?

Duh! WAGON! How did I miss that? :) Sorry 'bout that confusion on my part, evil_O.:redface:

No ideas on the side-mirror tint, but hey, if you do get it, gimmie/us a pic or two, will ya? Love to see that on the ABP, too.

:)

Best of luck!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Duh! WAGON! How did I miss that? :) Sorry 'bout that confusion on my part, evil_O.:redface:

No ideas on the side-mirror tint, but hey, if you do get it, gimmie/us a pic or two, will ya? Love to see that on the ABP, too.

:)

Best of luck!

LOL.. no worries. The devil is in the details as my grandfather use to say. I miss stuff too.

Yeah... now I am thinking about the blue for the side mirrors....

For ABP the blue would probably look pretty good on the side mirrors. On RBP the smoke disappears into the blue for a 'stealth' look. It probably wouldn't be as dramatic on the ligher colors. I'd go for the blue on the mirror signals for your color for sure.

OCDETAILS BLOG

drewster - I am having a hard enough time waiting for delivery time.. :lol:

OC - yeah.. the wife concurs.. I think I am going to go HID on the side mirrors... if I don't like them it only cost me $19.95...

Once I get her all done, I will post pics....

******runs off to order.

OK... order has been placed:

THIRD BRAKE LIGHT

Dark Smoke

HEADLIGHT CORNER LIGHTS

Dark Smoke

BACK-UP LIGHTS

Dark Smoke

TAIL LIGHTS

Dark Smoke

MIRROR TURN SIGNALS

HID Blue