LegacyGT.com

Question with engine reassembly after HG job.

Hello fellow Scooby owners!

I bought my first Subaru in August 2012. A 2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th 5spd sedan PZEV with 182,000 miles.

Long story short: My head gaskets went a few months ago(Parked it). First external leak, then I checked oil cap one day after my temperature gauge was rising above it's normal parameter to find the dreaded chocolate milk/mayonnaise. (I felt I was pretty vigilant in checking often and caught the internal leak early)

I decided to do the job myself as I'm mechanically/technically competent.

Though I have never pulled a motor, or took one apart but am really eager to learn.

-------------------------------------------------------

Here's my current issue: I pulled the motor, disassembled it up to the heads, had heads machined and valves redone (with parts from an OEM gasket kit) by a reputable shop.

Putting it back together is next, do I have to do anything special with the placement of the cams/valves/pistons? (again, I'm inexperienced here)

Or do I just put it all back together and while doing the timing does it all get itself into position? The cams/valves specifically since I took the cam shafts out.

I do not want to bend the valves or the engine run funny because of something misplaced/overlooked and find out the hard way.

I've tried searching high and low through forums and guides on my question. No luck. A big thank you to anyone who reads this wall of text and has any help/advice to offer..

Also if anyone knows a good Subaru tech around the Metro Detroit area in Michigan let me know. I was going to try to find someone to time the engine for me.

Thank you

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

First off welcome to the site. Second, YES there is specific placement of the cams in relation to the crank shaft. You are dealing with an interference engine and if the proper number of teeth of cogs between pulley's is not maintained you will be pulling your engine again. I do not have that info for you, but should be able to find with a little Google help.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

Thanks Os but I do have that. I've been using the FSM for everything I've done.

If you could point out what I'm missing I would appreciate it.

All the reading I've done doesn't explain how the camshaft should be situated for correct reassembly.

Google searches aren't giving me anything either, I might be using incorrect terminology also.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Have you picked up a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual yet? I have a Haynes for my '98 Legacy and I find it invaluable for all types of repairs, from minor to major repairs. Far better in many cases to the FSM ... pics, advice and best practices.

Archived